Make-up in America

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrspants Posts: 4652
Right ladies i am off to Vegas on and i am wondering is make-up out there much cheaper. I would love to get a (real) set of MAC make-up brushes and some other bits n pieces. So anyone know? Any other ideas what i could buy??
havemovedon Posts: 2013
European brands aren't cheaper (Clarins etc) but Mac, Bobbi Brown and Origins are. Last time I went I stocked up in Macy's in the Fashion Show mall. There's also a great selection of bags in Macy's there. I much prefer it to the Macy's in NY myself. Also there's a Sephora at the front of the Venetian where it meets the Palazzo, defo worth a trip! I dropped $200 in about 30 minutes. :-8 Forgot to say, take your passport to the Macy's visitor centre when you arrive and you get 10% off, can't remember if it's on cosmetics but I definitely got 10% off the bag and jeans I bought.
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
MAC is cheaper in the US - can't remember the difference now as it has been a few years. Any european brands of makeup, clothing, shoes etc are more expensive in the US particularly with the euro weakening recently. Watch out for the sales tax - varies from state to state and even county to county within a state - the ticketed price is pre-tax so you need to add on about another 5-8%.
TAZ DEVIL Posts: 1706
agree with other replies mac is cheaper BUT make sure you add in the tax at the end, to make sure you are getting a good deal, but either way it will be cheaper there. i found the department stores very good value, the likes of macys, kohls, bloomingdales and saks, tk maxx will have some high end make up products also, their a lot better over there. enjoy hp, when you heading?? would love to go over again!
soimarriedanaxemurderer Posts: 932
Know it's not makeup but Aveda is way cheaper. A face cream here €55 is €25 in the States. Have a brill time!
dibbles Posts: 749
Hotpants dont want to put a dampner but the Mac make up brushes arent much cheaper. I was same as you, wanted to set of them but when i was there at xmas it was over 400dollars!! As for make up in general its waaaay cheapwer!! My mascara is 14€ here, 5 dollars in walmart!! Have a great time!!
LadylovesChocolate Posts: 300
Oh you lucky thing, so jealous! I bought loads of Mac make up there and I worked it out when I got home and I reckon I saved about 25% when the tax was taken into account- i was in Seattle and the tax was more like 10-12% there,may well be less in Vegas. I didnt think the clothes were great,there was mostly casual gear although I got some lovely Abercrombie and Fitch stuff. Have fun :o)ll :o)ll
AnthonyHutton Posts: 2235
here's a tip for ya too.. book in for a trim and blowdry in the venetian known a few girl to get this done there and they are excellent there great start to a vegas trip
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
I got my Mam a set of MAC make up brushes in Sephora for Christmas 2006 (know it's a while ago now) It worked out at €150 for 6 or 7 brushes including foundation, powder and blusher brushes. Benefit is also way cheaper- Sephora is amazing!
mrspants Posts: 4652
Thanks everyone. I am not planning to spend very long shopping or drag back a lot of rubbish with me so i want to get a few small things that will be good value! OH hates shopping, and tbh i do enough of it at home. I want to be organised and just give a few hours in the shops - i hope!!!