Make Up - is it worth it?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

woggie Posts: 830
Hi guys, just curious as to why so many brides are getting thier make up done professionally these days. Do you really think it's worth the expense and why? Is it a case of not knowing how to do your own make up or that you dont use the best products so the make-up doesn't last. Or is it more to have one less thing to worry about on the wedding day? i'm not knocking anyone's decision to do this, i'm just haggling with myself as to whether to go to the expense or not. I'm contemplating getting a make up [i:sagzar7m]lesson[/i:sagzar7m] a good few months before the wedding and then just "practising" on myself lol sounds a bit dodgy i know but seriously i'm 37, i've been putting on my own make up for at least 20 years (omg i feel old now!) seems a bit OTT to be paying hundreds of euro's to someone else to do it for me.
newmammy2011 Posts: 1255
Hi, the reason I will be getting a makeup person is cause it will help me feel all glam ad special for the day I have never had it done before and I most likely ever wil. My sis has got it done for her graduation etc but I never did as I thought it a waste of money but for my wedding day its just really to enhance me feeling special :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
LookWhoItIs Posts: 851
probably because it your wedding day. I didn't want to look back in my DVD and album which I paid an arm and a leg for to look at average make up. Everything else is professionaly done, why not your make up? I do my own make up for every other occaison but I thought I'd go wild and have it done professionaly for the wedding :wv My make up cost €45
Biancee fiancee Posts: 907
I am having it done professionally for 3 reasons A) it's a very special occasion where all eyes will be on me, and B) I am crap at applying make up and C) its costing 39euro to have it done professionally. A drop in the ocean compared with everything else wedding related so it was no-brainer for me
NemoFish Posts: 2501
I'm undecided. I got a tan done for my 21st, and put very little make up over it, and its the best I have ever looked. People (pro's!0 have tried doing mascara and eyeliner for me. They simply can't - i flick my eyes too much, so would probably end up doing it myself anyway on the day! I think I would be better off getting a few facials, and making sure that my skin is in good condition, and spending money on good make up, than actually getting someone to do it. But other people seem to feel really good about it, and I might just change my mind.
Mrs. Ash Posts: 1168
I've always done my own make-up and I'm the type of person who won't go to the shop without my full make up done. I've taken lessons and people Kind of know me as mostly wearing good makeup, basically I do a good job on my own!! I got a Mac make up professional to my make up the day of the wedding and you would not believe the amount of people that commented on my makeup alone. and how my eyes looked so bright and blue and how i8t looked so natural!! Obviously I'm not as good as I thought as I have never had this kind of reaction before, the photos look gorgeous, not a bit of shine anywhere and I only had to touch up my lipstick the whole day!! It cost me 50 euro per face for her to come to the house, and my BMs and MOB got the same reaction as well, the make just enhances their own personal beauty and it made us all feel like movie stars!! Definitely the best money spent out of the whole day!! :wv
ditzypixie Posts: 1397
110% yes it is worth it.
joyce country Posts: 84
I understood that you will look washed out in the photos unless you pay to get your make-up done. I will definitely be paying for a professional to do mine.
Aurge Posts: 1456
Mrs.Do7 and biancee fiancee, where are you getting your make up done for that price?? I really want to get mine done professionally. I dont want to be doing anything on the morning and love the idea of people fussing over me to get my hair and make up done. If I could pay for someone to wash me in the shower I would :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 Deffo think its worth it. Was at my friends baby's christening a couple of months ago and she went into Brown thomas to get her make up done (my friend not the baby) I really have never seen her looking so well. She was stunning and it was all to do with the make up. Her eyes looked unbelievable. Go on spoil yoursel.....its your wedding day !!! :o0 :o0
Picasso Posts: 645
It is 100% worth it. I had a makeup artist come to the house on the morning of the wedding and we all had a great time getting ready. My makeup turned out fantastically well (everyone commented on it all day), there was no stress involved for me cause I just had to sit there and let her work away, and it stayed put all day and still looked good at 2am in the morning!