Making & Freezing Dinners

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jmeath Posts: 5740
Jsut thinking maybe ill do up a few things for the first week or so... DH is prettu picky so i think im pretty limited to what i can make but was also thinking of making myself a few bits for lunch when he goes back to work... So far im thinking of making Spag Bol (just for me) and when time comes ill make spagetti fresh Lasange (just for me again but ive never made it) Savoury Mince (will make spuds fresh at the time) Shepards Pie What else is there? Can you do a stew and freeze it or would it be horribe?
justwed09 Posts: 2349
hi jmeath i freeze stews all the time, im a fussy eater and hate stews but hubbie loves them so i make a big on on a sunday evening, freeze it into 2 or 3 tubs and he has it the nights he goes soccer training as i take it out that morning and just do his spuds fresh. works out fab according to hubbie! he prefers stews the following day after they are cooked anyway so freezing them is the same. for lasagne its easy : brown some mince, add onions, i add some peppers but you dont have to and some mushrooms, cook them for a few mins, add ragu lasagne sauce, cook for about 10 mins, add some of this mince mixture to an oven dish, put lasage sheets over the mince, pour the white sauce from ragu over this with a sprinkle of cheese and do teh same again, usually takes 2 layers. in the oven for 40 mins and hey presto! works out lovely frozen too :wv
may2008 Posts: 455
I freeze stews all the time and they are grand. also chicken casserole and chili con carne
[quote="justwed09":rtg78au6]hi jmeath i freeze stews all the time, im a fussy eater and hate stews but hubbie loves them so i make a big on on a sunday evening, freeze it into 2 or 3 tubs and he has it the nights he goes soccer training as i take it out that morning and just do his spuds fresh. works out fab according to hubbie! he prefers stews the following day after they are cooked anyway so freezing them is the same. for lasagne its easy : brown some mince, add onions, i add some peppers but you dont have to and some mushrooms, cook them for a few mins, add ragu lasagne sauce, cook for about 10 mins, add some of this mince mixture to an oven dish, put lasage sheets over the mince, pour the white sauce from ragu over this with a sprinkle of cheese and do teh same again, usually takes 2 layers. in the oven for 40 mins and hey presto! works out lovely frozen too :wv[/quote:rtg78au6] We perfer stew the next day too!!! Thanks for receipe on lasange...i cant wait to try it...what cheese do i buy, i hate cheese except for on lasange?Also do i but white sauce and another or is lasange sauce white? Lol im clueless coz i never get to mkae that kinda thing coz DH doesnt eat them
justwed09 Posts: 2349
buy the dolmio or ragu lasagne packs in your shopping it comes with the pasta sheets as well, the recipe is on the box too! i use mozzeralla & chedder grated packs, its easier than grating the cheese your self and quicker. its my fav dinner of all time!! when you are cooking the mince after the red sauce jar is in it cook it slow, but keep an eye on it incase it sticks to the pan., it really is easy once you do it once :wv your nearly there now, not long to go for ya! best of luck
tilsun Posts: 4506
I personally freeze every type of dinner that is in a sauce. The thing that makes them horrible IMO is defrosting in the microwave. So I just take out the dinner the night before and defrost in the fridge. If you freeze in individual portions 24 hours is usually enough to defrost. So I would freeze stews, chicken casseroles, chicken in sauce for pasta, chilli con carne, vegetables in sauce for pasta, vegetable soups etc, Or you could cheat and pick up some meals in M&S :o0
Tinytots Posts: 369
You can definitely make stew and freeze it, I do it all the time. My sis used to make chicken soup, big batches of it and frooze (sp?) it. It was always such a success on cold dull days when myself or other siblings arrived unannounced :o0 She just used that soup mix with lentils in it and lots of veg, gorgeous!! I also make fresh fish pie and freeze it. Beautiful and really hearty.
flippersmrs Posts: 660
can you take out dinner from freezer and pop it into oven to cook from frozen? or would you have to defrost it first in fridge and then pop into oven?? sorry for stupid question... i dont freeze stuff often. and when i do i usually defrsot them over night then cook in microwave but dh says yucky. :o0
tilsun Posts: 4506
[quote="flippersmrs":fd1fqc97]can you take out dinner from freezer and pop it into oven to cook from frozen? or would you have to defrost it first in fridge and then pop into oven?? sorry for stupid question... i dont freeze stuff often. and when i do i usually defrsot them over night then cook in microwave but dh says yucky. :o0[/quote:fd1fqc97] I would always let it defrost first. I'd be too afraid of something in the middle not being cooked so I'd end up burning it all to be on the safe side
I had my dinner but im starving reading all the replies...id love a spag bol now!! :o0