Making My Own Cake

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jdss Posts: 57
Hey Guys, Just wondering if anybody has made or is making their own cake?????? I am considering it but would like to hear how others have got on. I have no bother with cake or the icing but putting the icing on the cake and the cake together might be a bit stressful. O:| O:|
Leftbank Posts: 2395
Making mine with MIL, are you stacking the cakes or doing separates?
perfection Posts: 837
i kinda want to do my own cake aswell... i want cup cakes with fresh cream on top... the price bakerys are looking for is rediclious .... so i figured a couple of boxes of betty croker and ied be sorted but how would i keep them fresh!!!!!
abouttime Posts: 492
im planning on making my own cake. im going to be stacking them, hoping to do a four tier. :)
BlossomHill Posts: 2169
[quote="jdss":2db9qm3n]I have no bother with cake or the icing but putting the icing on the cake and the cake together might be a bit stressful. O:| O:|[/quote:2db9qm3n] You can always get them professional "iced" at a bakery
ros33 Posts: 202
Heya i am making my own cake, i love love baking!!! I have been making birthday cakes, xmas cakes, puddings,mince pies etc etc for years. I have always said i would make my own cake,( i actually made my friends fruit cake for her wedding and everyone loved it) so that was a great boost!! So i am doing a fruit cake, choc and carrot cake;-). Advice i would give do loads of trials(htb will love it lol) make sure you know how long it will take to make and how long before hand you need to make the cakes - what's great is the fruit cake can be made 5 weeks before hand at least!!! Do not do it if you feel you will be too stressed coming up to the wedding having to try and fit this in, i will hopefully have week off before wedding so i am dedicating one day to make the choc and carrot. Remember you will not be able to taste the cake so you want to be confidant in your baking( even at that i will still probably be the first over to the table just to make sure haha) I must add i will prob get mine professionally iced, want something slightly fancier than i would be able to do!! best of luck if you need any recipes let me know i can pm you
mrsG2b2011 Posts: 748
I'm considering making my own. I've got prices from a few companies for three tier cake and also a price to ice a 3 tier cake I make. The icing isn't much cheaper as apparently they say thats the bit that takes the most time. Also most companies will only ice a fruit cakes except I found out cakebox in dun laoghaire will ice chocolate biscuit cake aswell, but nowhere will ice sponge, which is a bit annoying. Anyway I love to bake so I think it would be really nice to bake my own cake but my problem is the icing. I'm going to have a practice run soon and see how it goes before I decide. But what I was thinking of doing was buying some polystyrene fake tiers and icing them and just making a few tiers in different flavours and leaving them back in the kitchen of the hotel, that way I can probably do the icing a few days beforehand without having to worry about keeping the cake fresh. I also think it would be quite difficult to ice sponge because it'll be soft so this way I can avoid that.
LittleLily Posts: 3682
[quote="perfection":34bq0l8b]i kinda want to do my own cake aswell... i want cup cakes with fresh cream on top... the price bakerys are looking for is rediclious .... so i figured a couple of boxes of betty croker and ied be sorted but how would i keep them fresh!!!!![/quote:34bq0l8b] Betty croker ain't cheap, it might be worth doing a trial run to see how many a pack makes and for how much to see if it really is saving money. Also just one thing with the fresh cream... I think some, if not most venues, won't take fresh cream as they have no way of knowing that it has always been kept in refrigerated environment. It would also have to be delivered in a refrigerated van. Butter cream topping and other icing is fine though as far as I know.
plumandpear Posts: 15
Just to weigh in on doing your own icing - it doesn't have to be very difficult. I did a trial run with a sponge cake (using the simple Odlums recipe which is quite a firm sponge) and iced it with buttercream icing and ready-to-roll icing over that. While it was more difficult to get the icing smooth than on a fruitcake, it wasn't very difficult. The result wasn't flawless but good enough. It won't be elaborate of course but smooth icing like this with some flowers looks very pretty. The bit I haven't tried and would be nervous about would be the stacking and assembling. By the way, that cake still tasted good and moist a couple of days later so I think you'd get away with making it and icing it a bit in advance. Or, indeed, lots of people have had good results freezing the sponge in advance.
madhairday Posts: 1116
I'm making my own as well, i have also made my sisters and my brothers 4 tier fruit, which i made 3 to 4 months in advance and just fed it regularly with whiskey. Did not ice those but going to make a stab a doing my own. the christmas cake wil be the trial for the icing. If you like baking and are good at it go for it.