Mary Harney Resigning

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lux Posts: 6270
Just on the news now!
Scruff1 Posts: 3139
Just saw it now too. not hugely surprising really. I know the health service is in a state but at least she stuck with it. No one will want that job!
happyfamily Posts: 3323
Woo hoo!!! Missed it but thats the best news ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With all the nursing and medical unions and the complete lack of any accountability from a lot of the profession who would want to get in and tell the INMO and IMO that things have to change. Fair play to her for taking on the consultants at least but I wouldn't do that job for all the money in the world.
dancerformoney Posts: 2733
[quote="lux":q50bocas]With all the nursing and medical unions and [b:q50bocas]the complete lack of any accountability from a lot of the profession who would want to get in and tell the INMO and IMO that things have to change[/b:q50bocas]. Fair play to her for taking on the consultants at least but I wouldn't do that job for all the money in the world.[/quote:q50bocas] not really sure what you mean by that? which profession are you talking about? politicians? paying the front line workers less really isnt helping things change!
[quote="PrivateDancer":dd4w54xp] not really sure what you mean by that? which profession are you talking about? politicians? paying the front line workers less really isnt helping things change![/quote:dd4w54xp] No, I am talking about front line medical personnel. There have been two cancer misdiagnoses in our family in the past three years, both done by front-line medical staff, including consultants, nurses, lab staff etc. No one apologised and there was a general air of indifference from the staff about the trauma our family went through. One nurse berated my mother for daring to challenge the "Professor" as she called him. I understand there are good and bad people in everyone organisation but I've just lost an aunt through medical indifference-she had long term problems and was in and out of hospital and some of the nurses were nothing short of obxnoxious. I don't buy the saintly image the health profession likes to portray. I am a front line worker in another part of the PS and if f*cked up the way those staff did at least nobody dies, but I would have serious questions to answer.
happyfamily Posts: 3323
[quote:1vu7jksk] I am a front line worker in another part of the PS and if f*cked up the way those staff did at least nobody dies, but I would have serious questions to answer[/quote:1vu7jksk] I do agree that not everybody in the health service is a saint but the fact is lux that[b:1vu7jksk] they do[/b:1vu7jksk] deal with life or death situations. Thats pressure enough for them and more stress than most people would like to handle so they deserve their pay and mary harney totally disregarded this.
[quote="happyfamily":35pz3xev]I do agree that not everybody in the health service is a saint but the fact is lux that[b:35pz3xev] they do[/b:35pz3xev] deal with life or death situations. Thats pressure enough for them and more stress than most people would like to handle so they deserve their pay and mary harney totally disregarded this.[/quote:35pz3xev] They know that when they sign up for the job though, don't they? They know they could kill people if they miss a crucial or give 100 mls instead of 10? Don't get me wrong, we've had good treatment from the Irish health system but I think the nursing and doctor unions have a lot to answer for in terms of cosy work practices. A nurse or doctor should not be paid extra for nights, weekend and bank holidays, its the nature of the job and they know hospitals are 24 hour places. Nurses should not be allowed to work as agency nurses on days off or public holidays. I work very strange hours because of the nature of my job but we get none of these allowances and are certainly not allowed to do private work on the side.
mrsdribbles Posts: 431
Ok well thid topic is just going to turn into a debate about the health service!! But Lux I really have to respond. Im sorry that you have been through that in your family. I really am. But it is definetly not the front line staff to blame. There are numerous reasons why the different misdiagnosis/ undiagnosed conditions have occured. The lack of radiologists being one for reporting, the lack of adequate and more sensitive equipment being another. And Im sorry Lux but not being paid for extra hours as in "unsociable hours" which other jobs gets paid for, thats not really in line with everyone else is it? Why are we any different? I will give you a real insight into it. I work 8am- 7pm usually Monday to Friday. I get paid for 9am- 5pm (4pm on Friday) Im after a 36 hour shift, of which I got 4 hours straight sleep, Some people do that in a week. So since Monday I have done 47 hours work. Our contracts state that the European working time directive does not want us working any more than 48 hours a week- I still have another 2 days of possible 11 hours each to do, I will be lucky to get paid any over time for this shift. yet i HAVE to do it because of the lack of jobs. And before you go on, of course I knew what I was getting into. Its a vocation not a lifestyle that I chose my career. The average over the last 6 months of hours per week I worked was about 68 hours. At the mo there is a serious shortage of doctors in the country- why?? The above reason is why!!!!! Where else in the PS do you get that? We get paid double for the Bank holiday but seriously- are you really going to begrudge us that when what we deal with most bank holidays in the A+E are the drunk and disorderly. And we DONT get paid unsociable hours. As for IMO- there are only 30% of doctors actually in the IMO, there has been a huge drive, so that could be a little bit more now. So its not always the unions- as most of us arent in the union!!! So sorry for my rant. But I understand you are upset with the service for your personal reasons and I do apologize you've had to go through that. But it is not the front line staff's fault!!!
mrsdribbles Posts: 431
I really dont want that to sound mean or giving out!! so sorry if it does!! Not the intention!!! :wv