Massive Savings on eBay - Might be too good to be true!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

No2Conventional Posts: 37
I bought my dress at the weekend in a Dublin Vintage Store which was within budget at €480. When it comes to accessories and veil and petticoat etc. I knew it was going to be much more so wanted the dress as below the €500 as possible. I fell in love with a belt and veil in the bridal store, when I heard the price of the belt the love was lost.. €250 :ooh Went to Hickeys and they were nice and ranging from 50-80 but I didn't buy one as the bridal store belt was too fresh in my mind and they didn't quite live up to it. Anyway, long story short. I have found the pretty much identical veil and Hickeys belt on eBay from China. I have pics of both items and I cannot spot much difference, here is the best news.. I got the both of them for €15 :o)ll The feedback for both sellers is 100% positive and I know eBay inside out so it cant be cheated. The Veil was €5 and the belt was €10 both had free postage. At that price I am definitely willing to take the chance. So thats a whopping saving of €105 if it works out. I defo would never have considered buying a dress from eBay or similar but accessories, not a bother :hyper:
allsún Posts: 253
I got a veil on ebay for €30, cathedral length, with pearls. I had it posted to a relative to the america as it was cheaper, I will have it next week. A similar one in the shop was about 200. Anyway I have seen a photo of it after it arrived, just waiting to see it in person now.
That sounds great allsun!! Fingers crossed it works out for you too. I am fairly sure the shops get their stuff online from China and America and make a whopper profit. For me a bunch of fake diamonds n pearls are of worth 80-250 quid!!!
Naomi1978 Posts: 88
I bought a cathedral length veil with lace detail for €15. It arrived and is a lovely veil but unfortunately it's slightly off colour wise. I'm not giving up on it yet, May try darkening it with tea bags. The same veil in bridal shop was €240.
CasualBride Posts: 574
I bought a veil for €40 online, I actually think it might have been through Amazon, I can't remember now but it came from Poland, so the postage was only a couple of euro, it's very basic though, I have to say. I wasn't looking for anything special but this is very very standard. It's also not very full - I had the option of going for a fuller style but obviously when you look at photos, you don't think you'd want a big puff of veil coming out from the comb, whereas in reality, it might have been a better choice. I'll be really interested to hear how yours works out, cos I wouldn't mind getting another one if it was as cheap as yours - as it stands, I'm going to use what I have, cos I genuinely don't really mind. I didn't want a long one as I'm having an outdoor ceremony and a fit & flare dress, so it was actually difficult to find the fingertip length I wanted. Delighted you got your dress within budget!!! I finally got my bridesmaid dresses sorted this week, I haven't ordered them but I know what I want, they're Dessy and they're going to cost €220 each here, whereas they have them on bridesmaids.com on sale at $170 each, it's the customs and postage that's going to drive up the price - does anyone know if you ALWAYS get caught to pay customs, or is there a good chance I'd escape it??
The veil arrived, it is grand for me as I am not sure I want to wear it. I think I may get a pic with it on and not bother with it. I will see how I am feeling on the day, for a fiver I dont mind if I wear it or not. The belt never arrived and I got a refund easily enough. I am going to buy a belt on Etsy from an Irish seller and not bother trying eBay, the one I want made to measure is only in and around €50 for a rinestone belt.
JMB86 Posts: 30
@casualbrides I've ordered my 3 bridesmaid dresses from bridesmaids.com they are to be delivered in the next 2 weeks I can let you know about customs when I get them if you like!! A friend of mine ordered hers from there aswell and she didn't get caught for much, she still ended up paying less
17JanBride Posts: 9
Hi everyone, Great idea...I've been looking at loads of stuff on Ebay but just havn't taken the plunge yet as haven't picked the dress yet :eek JMB86...Also considering bridesmaids dresses from bridesmaids.com....would love to hear how yours turned out when they arrive! Anyone bought their wedding dress online?? I have a very small budget...trying to keep it under €500 so would love any suggestions. Thanks :wv
CasualBride Posts: 574
Thanks JMB86, I actually took the plunge and ordered mine from Wedding World last week, as I was worried about time - they said they take 4 - 4.5 months to come in and my wedding is August so I figured I better just get on with it and the price has gone up by €20 per dress since I priced them in December - apparently Dessy have raised their prices. When I calculated the cost of ordering them from Bridesmaids.com, assuming I would get stung for customs, they were exactly the same price as Wedding World were charging, so I said I'd just go with the more secure option rather than taking the risks myself. But now for my "coup" news.. I ordered a veil from Wish.com for a tenner and it arrived last week and is actually better than the €40 one I got from Amazon!! Now, before everyone gets all excited, there is a ridiculously badly patched up section on the veil but it doesn't matter to me because I ordered a really long one with the intention of cutting it to the length that suits my dress, so I will be cutting off the badly "repaired" piece, but it's a grand thick, long, plain white veil, which is all I wanted, and for a tenner, you can't go wrong!!