massive wedding in church before ours!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

yankiecandle Posts: 2888
just speaking to girl who's wedding is on in our church at 1pm ours is at 3pm (we might share the flowers, was talkin to her on the fone there, is lovely & we are going to the church this xmas to look at the decoration). they are having 420 guests!!!! is there any way the church will be cleared of their wedding before our guests arrive? we picked the time 3pm, just dont want their wedding to over run into our time not trying to be a bridezilla, understand it other peoples day too but if her wedding runs 30mins later, she's late to the chapel, how long will it take to give 420 people communion, dont want it to effect our wedding. reassurance needed :thnk
w.w.wonder Posts: 297
try not to let it worry you too much, the bride and the priest will all be aware that they have to keep things moving so as not to ruin your day. If anything the first wedding will be rushed where your wedding will be chilled and relaxed. Have a good friend get there early and then they can let you know how things are going and you will know when to leave your house to arrive the picture of elegance once everyone from the previous wedding has left.
thanks w.w.wonder, for your sensible words, the other bride is lovely, but ya know what things are like on a wedding day, they might over run.... maybe we should make ours 30mins later & get married at 3.30? but that would make our wedding v late. i dont mind if there is a few guests from the 1st wedding still about when our guests start to arrive but not half the wedding & the logistics of organising 420 people is complicated :o(
Is the same priest doing both weddings? I'd talk to him or the Sacristan (?sp) about it. If the church can hold that many people then it should be something they've dealt with before. With a couple of Eucharistic Ministers it should be no problem getting everyone tended to. The biggest logistical problem would probably be parking for everyone but again a church of that size is going to have parking. This obviously isn't the first time two weddings have been on in the same day in the church so talk to the priest and ask him what normally happens. If that doesn't put your mind at rest talk to the other bride about it. Maybe she was only joking when she said that number.
its a cathedral, so will be big enough & unfortunately she isnt joking, in donegal we have v big weddings! friends have been at weddings there before & have said it was tight between 2 weddings on 1 day!
MeSB Posts: 3785
was just about to type don't move the wedding because you'll miss out on the light for photographs but just remembered that it will be getting dark when you come out of the church at that time of year anyway. If you are thinking of moving it (and the priest allows) don't move it too late. Was recently at a 4pm wedding which was lovely, no rush for anyone to get there, no mad dash to the hairdresser in the morning, no-one had to travel the night before. All fab, apart from the bride who was a nervous wreck having to wait all day. It will all work out for you. Don't forget no-one can do anything until you get there, have someone call you when wedding number one is finished/finishing so you can time leaving the house, you'll be less stressed at home than sitting in a car. And once the wedding is over you can get some fab pictures with the cathedral all lit up behind you.
the 4pm wedding you were at, what time was the meal? :thnk
Meal didn't start until nearly 8, had drinks and canap├ęs reception to start, then had speeches before dinner. Nearly half past ten before the meal was over. Not ideal, but not too bad either. We had worked out that dinner won't be until about half seven so had planned and eaten before we went to the wedding. Was only a small wedding, about 100 people. You'd need to talk to your hotel about doing it that way. Our hotel have told us that they don't like doing the meal any later than 6.
cupcakebabe Posts: 2232
Dont worry NYEbride i got married during the summer at 1pm and there was another wedding booked for 3pm. There was 350 at my wedding and there was no problem. When we were meeting the priest before hand he kept reminding me that if i was late it would effect not just my day but another bride as well and warned me not be late. I arrived bang on time and the mass was over before 2.15