Menu

Matching Bridesmaids Dresses - Opinions Please

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sept_bride09 Posts: 19
Hi Girls when I first asked my sisters to be my bridesmaids, I told them that I would like them to have matching coloured dresses, but they didn't necessarily have to be the same style, but they did have to be around the same length. I thought this would be nicer as they would both be comfortable in different styles. But now........ I have been looking at pictures of other weddings and now I'm not sure if it looks more pbotogenic/balanced if the bridesmaids are in the same dress. I only have 2 so it's not like there will be loads of different types. I would love to know what other girls are doing
blueswallow Posts: 1244
I don't think it really matters. It's down to personal taste really. I've also seen bridesmaids with different styles of dresses AND different colours - as in the bride tells them a colour range and they all wear varying tones of the same colour. In my case, they will be wearing identical dresses.
jayzilla Posts: 109
My two bridesmaids will also be wearing the same dress and colour, personally I think it will look better in photo's..
tiggeriffic Posts: 547
I'm Bmaid in the summer and the 3 of us are wearing different dresses. They're all full length and same colour(with different bits of white in them), but they're all different styles. I think it'll be lovely
Rubyrose Posts: 5522
I guess it can really depend. I always said Id have them in the same colour but different styles, now they are all in the same dress, all 4 girls love it, and they all look diff in it
JRowe Posts: 28
I've two bridesmaids and they are wearing the same colour but different styles. My sister is 11 and she is wearing a ballet length flaired dress (from Coast) and by cheif bridesmaid is wearing a full length straight dress (from Karen Millen). They look fantastic in them and great beside me and think part of it is that they are both so comfortable in the dresses.
tararod Posts: 562
I'm having 4 bm's and they are all wearing the same style of dress but there will be 2 of one colour and two of another colour
tinkerbella2010 Posts: 762
I think having different bridesmaid dresses the same colour is a lovely idea. Some styles just don't suit certain girls so by giving them a choice they will look better and feel more comfortable!! I think the photographs would still be perfect as they will be the same colour!
chocbiscuitcake Posts: 658
I've no idea why but my instinctive reaction is that three different dresses would probably look better to me than just two. Two might look like they were supposed to match but didn't quite make it, whereas three looks like a deliberate choice, IYKWIM. But you're unlikely to ask an extra bridesmaid on that basis! In any case, I think it will look absolutely fine; few people will look at your photos or at the BMs dresses in the same detail as you; once you don't have too many dominant colours in your photos they'll look lovely.