Maternity Benefit - Been affected in the upcoming budget

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

carlie2012 Posts: 127
Hi girls I have been hearing whispers that the Maternity Benefit might be cut from 26weeks to 20weeks in the upcoming budget on the 7th April Just wondering has anyone else heard this???
angel3 Posts: 1572
Havent heard this, there is no way they could change that.
carlie2012 Posts: 127
I know Angel3, i have been watchng the news etc but there has been no reference to it. so thats why i feel it may just a rumour that is going around. I just think with the way the economy is going, O:| i would not be surprised if they tried to dock the payment to women on maternity :eek They are liable to do anything :eek
Emme Posts: 4735
They would have to then cut maternity leave back as well - I would imagine Europe won't let that happen as it's the type of thing that we need to keep up to EU standards on. Can't see it happening. Social welfare would have to take a massive hammering at all levels for this to be fair. The PRSI worker can't take every hit going.
Well if this happens all the pregnant ladies will have to get out there and march even if we have to take pottys with us!
Too right angel and the big hormonal heads on us!!!
Haha how dare they even start on us! :o0 :o0
neeov Posts: 4256
The 26 weeks is an EU directive to encourage breastfeeding as far as I know. It gives you the 6 months off that its recommended to exclusively breastfeed for. It would be hard for them to pull back from that after promoting breastfeeding!!!
Thank God for the EU, otherwise we'd be Iceland.
delirious Posts: 287
Oh god, i hope they don't reduce the maternity leave weeks... I do know that there were rumours, awful rumours before the last budget and some of them were true..! >:o(