Maternity Benefit - I'm so upset!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mumtobemay11 Posts: 41
I was one of the unfortunate ones that was made redundant from my job last year. I went to school, straight to college and then into employment from the age of 20 and have been working my ass of for over 13 years. I start claiming social welfare straight away. We then discovered that we were expecting our baby this May and are over the moon. I rang the maternity benefit section this morning to check what my entitlements were in relation to maternity pay and apparently I have NONE!! It seems that I have to have 52 insurable weeks for 2009, which i have but need to be in employment to be entitled to anything. Now it seems that I have to continue signing on each month and going to the post office in person every week to get my normal social welfare payment less my jobseekers allowance which i will have lost by the time my baby arrives. All this after giving birth!! I'm just so upset as all along i was of the impression that if i signed on straight away I would continue with my stamps and would be entitled to maternity pay. I was only speaking to a friend yesterday who told me that I should be fine with claiming it. My tears are flowing as i'm writing this..... (the hormones are not helping either). This country is unreal, I've always paid my taxes and the one time i need something in return, i'm not entitled. Girls, does anyone know if this girl in the maternity benefit section (very rude and not at all sympathetic, i might add) was correct in what she said to me?? Thanks for your help and sorry for the rant!!
i want one Posts: 2893
[b:1el5m8yk]apparently[/b:1el5m8yk] if u can get one days work anywhere in the last 16 weeks of your pregnancy u should qualify for it if ur stamps from 2009 are all up to date. do you know anyone who can take u on for a day? now im not 100% sure but sure ring them back and ask them if that is the case.
LeonardandPenny Posts: 2684
sorry to hear your having trouble with the social welfare (who doesn't have trouble with that shower). Would you try ringing Citizens Information, they would be more helpful on the phone than the social welfare and maybe able to advise you. Hope you get it sorted
Thanks I want one, I'm nearly 26 weeks so only have 14 weeks left (Maybe!). Its worth a try, I'm just so annoyed and upset. I was convinced I'd be OK.
Thanks MrsMessr, I'll need to compose myself before I can speak to them. Rang DH to tell him and could barely get the story out through my sobbing.
:action32 :action32 i hope you get it sorted for the better and its great if you can jus work the one day. let us know how you get on. :wv
JourneyNo2 Posts: 220
hey there might you know anyone at all that has their own business and can take you on for acouple of weeks - a shop or any sort of business I know someone who was equally a deserving case as you and they manged to get maternity benefit by getting someone in the familiy to 'take them on' for a few weeks - would be worht a think about anyway
Just got off the phone to Citizens advice. It seems that as things stand at the minute, I'm not entitled to maternity benefit as I'm not in employment. I'll lose my job seekers benefit in May and to receive job seekers allowance, i'd be means tested. Based on my husbands income, i wouldn't qualify for that either, so basically i'd get nothing. She did say that if i could get a job, even for one day a week, i'd be entitled to my full maternity benefit. The maternity form needs to be submitted 2 weeks before my due date so as long as i have a job for one day a week, i'd be ok. Theres no limit on how long you have to be in that job. As went from employment, straight onto SW and then back to employment, i did not break it. Thanks girls for all your help. I feel abit better now. Just need to find someone who will employ me for 1 day a week now :wv
glad you got it sorted and fingers crossed you'll pick something up for one day a week. You mentioned you have to send the form in two weeks before your due date, you might want to check this as I read in the other maternity question post in this forum and urban fairy says 6weeks before and other poster adised her to send it about 8 weeks before. yo might want to double check this. Best of luck :wv
Thanks MrsMesser, she definately said 2 weeks before due date, but if i get a job will do it asap as whats to say I won't go early. Just wait for the next politician to knock on my door......my DH will need to hold me back >:o(