Maternity benefit & Taxation-those of u on full pay

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Emomc Posts: 2069
Ladies, I am a public servant so I am lucky enough to get paid in full by my employer for the full 26 weeks. I have to sign a form to have my maternity benefit paid directly over to them but the upshot of it all is I get paid the same when I have off on maternity as I do now and they just recoup the benefit for Social & Family affairs. There ishowever a significant disavantage to you of your employer imposing this system, rather than reducing your pay and letting you get the MB yourself. For those of you in the same position you might find the following links interesting. It seems we will be overpaying in tax when on MB. MB in non taxable and your employer should take this into account (mine wont just treats me as if I am still on full pay if you follow me). MS should not be regarded as income for tax purposes. Apparently you can claim a rebate at the end of Maternity leave. http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=93119 http://www.stanton.ie/March/Women_Who_C ... efit.shtml
dreamer Posts: 3941
I had wondering about over-paying of tax going down this route ( as I am) Thanks for those links Emomc. I think I will claim a rebate at the end rather than try to confuse my employer. They are London based so it gets complicated!!!
Emme Posts: 4735
Emomc thank you for all the info you give on these matters, it's really so helpful. :thnk
Emomc Posts: 2069
No problem ladies as I say it wont arise if you are getting the MB directly and your pay is beign reduced accordingly. I might ask my employer to do that, then again the rebate at the end would be good if I choose to take some unpaid leave, which in the current economic situation I was ruling out!
dreamer Posts: 3941
Yeah - I am too close to start changing things! Don't fancy ringing the Social Welfare office in Letterkenny again (always takes about 25 go's before anybody picks up) I am taking unpaid leave too so will have tax to claim back anyway when 2009 is up so it makes sense to do it all!! Besides - it always feels better when you get it back!! Already got my Med1 claim back from them (paid everything in advance in 2008!) - pretty efficient I have to say!!! (Even if I did have to spend it in the first place) :o0
MrsMoneypenny Posts: 783
well i am a public servant and my employer will be amending my tax accordingly to make allowances for the maternity benefit that they are receiving. so in fact i will be earning more whilst on paid matenrity leave cause my non taxable income is increased by €280. Hope that makes sense - it's not right that your employer doesn't take the benefit into account if you are getting it paid to them.
WinterGal Posts: 835
Thanks a mill for that Emomc. Finally some good news!
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
I didn't know that! Great to know as my employer just continues to pay me full pay for the 26 weeks and they take my social welfare payment. That few quid will be handy!!
byebye Posts: 599
Thanks a million for that.. Something positive to loook forward to so..
allexcitednow Posts: 654
Has anyone actually got thier tax back for maternity benefit. coz I rang the tax office the other day and said that its only tax free if you are not receiving a salary top up!!