Maternity clothes for the already larger lady

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

chy Posts: 61
Anybody recommend any shops that definitely have decent maternity clothes for the already larger lady?! Don't need them for another while hopefully, but just to give you an indication I'm still sitting here in my size 20 (:ooh) trousers from M+S, and we all know how generous they are with sizing... I'm willing to pay for decent trousers anyway and would prefer real shops to try stuff on rather than web shopping, so any suggestions would be gratefully received as clothes shopping is already a depressing chore as it is... Also just to make matter more complicated have been invited to a black tie wedding (why oh why?!) in September when I will be approx 23 weeks, and have another wedding the week after that, so I figure I'll buy one good dress (guests won't overlap thankfully!), any recommendations where to look? Am in Dublin but willing to travel to any nearby counties too.
theoracle Posts: 7664
I found H&M absolutely best for every day pregnancy clothes and also very affordable. Dorothy Perkins do some nice trousers also, but not much choice besides. Re dressy clothes, found it very hard (and expensive) to get smart maternity dress - I also had a wedding to go to, I had a 'normal' dressy dress empire cut in a slightly larger size, it did the job fab, there were 3-4 other pregnant women there at the wedding, asking me where i got it (George at asda, 25 GBP!!! :o0).
suitcase of hopes and dreams Posts: 2932
Was in new look last week, they do maternity wear up to a size 20, clothes are quite reasonable too :wv
moonandstars Posts: 280
Hi Chy, I found this website but they seem to only have casual stuff, nothing for a wedding. http://www.destinationmaternity.com/mat ... ernity.asp
originalwoowoo Posts: 867
Mothercare does up to a 20 and next 22 (online). Littlewoods also does 20
happymumof2 Posts: 288
Hi Chy Would you think of getting a dress made? I am in the same boat as you and I have a wedding in Sept also, I am strongly thinking of getting a dress made. I got my bridesmaid dresses made I just showed a picture of them to the dressmaker and she made them exactly like the picture.
chy Posts: 61
Thanks for the replies girls, keep em coming! lucy123, getting a dress made is something I never thought of!! How long did it take? No idea what size I'll be then so would need to time it well :o0
Salander Posts: 1639
hi Chy I went into Guineys and bought a couple of size 24 trousers with elastic at the back of them and have been slowly growing into them in the last couple of months! I was really uncomfortable in the size 20 M&S trousers and it was bliss in the bigger size! they were a bit loose at the beginning but now i think i need to go up a size - i got about 3 months out of them. Must head in there again in the next week or two or cheat and send my mammy in cos some of the old ladies in there are scary!!
jill80 Posts: 565
Not "maternity" clothes technically but you can get nice dressy dresses in Evans that can be used during maternity. Friend of mine is a size 20, and she had a formal wedding when she was 8 months pregnant. She had a beautiful dress for it and told me she just went up three dress sizes in Evans.
jmeath Posts: 5740
Im a size 18 myself and ive bought mainly in Dorothy Perkins and Next, couple of bits in New look but i dont find their sizing great. I couldnt find a nice top for my hen so just went to Evans and bought a size bigger. Have t ogo on the look out for work trousers this week....