Maternity Clothes

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

30thmay2006 Posts: 235
Hi all, I'm having trouble find small sized maternity trousers/bottoms for casual wear, i was a size 8 before i got pregnant, i find the size 8s in next and dorothy perkins are huge!! any suggestions? my normal size 8 trousers are not comfy anymore. i got a nice pair of trousers in topshop for work but they dont have any for casual wear like combats or track suit bottoms.
Sleep Monster Posts: 2829
Sorry don't have any suggestions, but although not lucky enough to be a tiny size 8, I'm usually 10 -12 and often get clothes altered to fit. Would you think about doing that? Or perhaps try shopping on line? There's usually a good returns policy. Not much help.. sorry!
lal Posts: 403
Could you try a "bellybelt" (its a piece of elastic material which expands the waist band of your regular trousers). I havent tried one myself and am not sure where you would buy one (probably mothercare or mamas n papas?) but my SIL swore by them. HTH
mummy bear Posts: 3824
H&M are great!
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Why not just buy a size or 2 bigger? I got loads of size 16 stuff (usually 12-14) in Penneys, and it does fine - though I have to say I find DP jeans (maternity ) ones great.
Perci Posts: 3847
Hi 30thmay2006, I'm the same size as you and I 've only just needed to start buying maternity clothes. At the moment I'm getting away with wearing long tops over my ordinary jeans with the buttons undone and just wearing a belt to keep them secure. I also bought the work trousers from Topshop (on Stephen's Green) and just bought a pair of size 8 maternity jeans from Topshop which are great too, think they also had linen trousers there the last time. I tried their small/medium belly belt and it was huge so I didn't bother with that. I've got some lovely maternity tops from Benetton but the trousers aren't great. I think I'll just be making regular trips to Topshop as I'm sure new stuff will keep coming in.
Perci Posts: 3847
[quote:3hus8fgx]Why not just buy a size or 2 bigger?[/quote:3hus8fgx] I don't really understand how this works, are they not huge on you then? I haven't put on weight on my bum or thighs just the bump so if I try bigger sizes I look like a tent! That's why i find Topshop good cos they're the same size everywhere except it stretches to accommodate the bump. I suppose everyone's shape is different when they're PG....
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
I guess a size ir 2 bigger only works for say tracksuit botooms for lounging around or PJs as far as bottoms go, but I bought a lot of tops in a bigger size, as both bump and boobs are huge. Most tops I wear would be fitted so they wouldn't be baggy ones, as in these I would look like a cone! :o0
30thmay2006 Posts: 235
hi all, thanks for all the replies, and to be honest i'm with you augusta i think i will just have to keep an eye on the stuff in top shop as i have tried on trousers a size bigger and they just drop off me and are still too big with a belt on, they just look all gathered, i havent put weight on anywhere but belly and boobs are alot bigger so i've gone up to a size 10 top in any shop but the bottoms just seem to be a nightmare at the mo, maybe when i get bigger it will be easier!!
deem Posts: 710
[quote="30thmay2006":qtohstqg]hi all, thanks for all the replies, and to be honest i'm with you augusta i think i will just have to keep an eye on the stuff in top shop as i have tried on trousers a size bigger and they just drop off me and are still too big with a belt on, they just look all gathered, i havent put weight on anywhere but belly and boobs are alot bigger so i've gone up to a size 10 top in any shop but the bottoms just seem to be a nightmare at the mo, maybe when i get bigger it will be easier!![/quote:qtohstqg] I was going to say that later when bump gets bigger things will fit much better. I bought maternity stuff in Dorethy Perkins, the tops fitted fine by week 16 but even now the trousers dont sit right, I think they need a second trimester trousers and third trimester one, or else ones that change size. HOpe you find something that fits right. I'm still wearing track suit bottoms, well they look like trousers (but elasticated waist) from Dunnes Stores in two sizes too bigger than usual.