Maternity Leave entitlement

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

porshe Posts: 1359
Hi Girls, this is my first post in P&B and really hope its not my last. Anyway I just found out today that my Company does not apy maternity leave & after 6yrs service you can imagine my shock. My question is how much does the Social Welfare work out is it based on your salary and if so what %. And also if I was to leave my current job and got a new job and I was still on contract when I got pregnant are they obliged to pay me full maternity leave (if already on my contract) and if not on contract do I still get the full government salary? Sorry for the questions, I am in a panic as to whether or not to leave and get on a higher salary. Thanks all :wv
Anonymous Posts: 24542
See here for info on maternity benefit: Your employer isn't obliged to top up your maternity pay, and those employers who do usually require you to be with them for a certain period of time (usually 1-2 years, though sometimes longer) before they will pay any top up.
theoracle Posts: 7664
Hi there and welcome! To answer your Q, your employer is not obliged to pay you mat pay. He can provide top-ups to the maternity benefits, enquire if this is a possibility. The amount of social welfare is max 280 Euro a week, regardless of salary. To qualify, you need to satisfy PRSI contributions criteria. Changing a job and higher salary want make any difference unless you are signing up to different terms eg no top-up before but top-up at new job to match your salary. You can find more info at or you can make further enquiries via citizens advice buerau.
susmurf Posts: 1060
The social welfare payment ranges from just over €200 a week to about €280 a week and is based on a percentage of your gross pay and weeks worked. For 2008 the calculation is based on 2006 stamps. HTH.
murhan events Posts: 152
Hi Most companies dont pay any maternity pay and expect you to apply for maternity benefit, when I had my fist baby (five years ago) I was working fulltime and had full benefit of 230.00 per week, Now Im self employed and had my second baby in June ( 8 months now and a little terror!) :lvs I delivered her very early and found out the day before that I was entitled to NO payment, ended up back to work part-time after two weeks.
oh my god girls I am scr#wed cant believe I never thought to check this out, I am so upset. Thanks for replying though.
missc Posts: 875
Try not to worry too much, theres a lot of us in the same boat. I was pretty shocked when i found out my boss wouldnt pay me anything after 5yrs service >:o( Its pretty sh!t to be honest and the government should do somthing about it. It is gonna be hard but if you just sit down together and try to work out how you can reduce some loans or even freeze your mortgage for 3mts, maybe get rid of some unnecessary bills?!?! Thats what we had to do and although it doesnt stop you worrying, it does take some of the pressure off. Things could always be worse.
shobie Posts: 1437
Yeah scary stuff girls isn't it? I finished my last job at Xmas and haven't been able to find anything since (now 5 months gone). At this stage it's unlikely anyone will hire me, why would they when I would be heading on maternity leave in the next 4 months. But it leaves me without any maternity benefit at all....after all my hard work over the past few years, it's really demoralising to have to go on the dole and not to even qualify for the money I feel I'm owed. All I can say is thank god for H2B working in a good job but its not the same as contributing to the household myself (which I always did in the past, in fact I was the higher earner O:| ) Not a very encouraging system we have here in Ireland for mums to be is it? My best friend didn't get any benefit either because her previous employer never paid her tax, even though they were deducted from her very modest salary. :eek
Its amazing how ignorant we can be, i.e. until it applied to me I never paid any attention. It seems to be quite common I am shocked its disgusting the way we are being treated, it feels like we are being punished/penalised for having a baby. I am going to talk to my boss and give him a chance to do something about it, its worth a shot I have nothing to loose. Thanks girls as always :wv
silíní Posts: 4219
[quote:3vdv8qtu]I finished my last job at Xmas and haven't been able to find anything since (now 5 months gone). At this stage it's unlikely anyone will hire me, why would they when I would be heading on maternity leave in the next 4 months. But it leaves me without any maternity benefit at all....after all my hard work over the past few years, it's really demoralising to have to go on the dole and not to even qualify for the money I feel I'm owed. [/quote:3vdv8qtu] Shobie i havent worked since last autumn and starting back this week (29 weeks gone!).... If i hadnt got a job i'd have been in the same position as you, so i rang the citizens advice and they said even if i did a few days work between now and having the baby i would get maternity benefit as it's based on 1. 2006 stamps and 2. one prsi stamp in the last 16 weeks before birth of baby. So i'd say ring the citizens advice and get their advice, as it sounds like if you do even a few days work (in a shop or anything) and pay tax on your pay, you will be entitled to mat benefit. S