maternity leave questions

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

summerlovin Posts: 30
Hi everyone Im almost 8 weeks pregnant with my first baby and i have a couple of questions to do with maternity leave. I think im right in saying im entitled to 26 weeks maternity leave and ive the option of taking a further 16 weeks unpaid if i want. What i want to know is.....say i use up my 26 weeks and feel i need some more time..can i take say just 4weeks extra or do i actually have to take the full 16 weeks? I hope thats not a really stupid question! Also....where i work, our holidays for the year run from jan to dec. So lets just say i normally get 20 days holidays a year..... And ill be due to go on maternity leave in mid may.....do i get to take all my holidays before my maternity leave or will the amount of holidays i get be deducted because i won't be there all year?? I hope these questions are making sense.....they make perfect sense in my head! :-)
Sue79 Posts: 175
Hey summerlovin, there is no such thing as a stupid question..... Your first question - you should be entitled to your 26 weeks as you mentioned, but you can take up to a max of 16 weeks unpaid after that (once you give 4 weeks notice to your employer), you don't have to take the full amount. You will also be entitled to your holidays as if you are in work, so you can take them either before or after your maternity. You will also be entitled to any Bank Holidays you would have had if you were working, which will prob be 5 or 6 which will be added to your holidays. Good luck with your pregnancy! sue
MrsMOnAMission Posts: 376
Hi I'm no expert and am open to correction but.. Yes you can just take part of the unpaid leave, you have to let your employer know at least 4 weeks (I think) before you are due back from the 26 weeks. Your holiday days are protected leave so you will still accrue the same amount of holidays even though you are not actually working (you will also be entitled to any bank holidays back that accrued while you were on leave)
MrsMOnAMission Posts: 376
Sue79...you beat me to it :wv