Maternity Leave & Sick Leave Question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Positive2012 Posts: 481
Hi girls, i'm nearly 35 wks pregnant and i'm really starting to feel the tiredness kicking in plus i've been sick throughout the whole pregnancy. I'm really looking forward to my Christmas break from work and to be honest i am seriously contemplating not coming back after Christmas. I don't think i'll be able for it. I did change my dates for work which means I am due to work up to a few days before my due date (now i know that it was not a clever idea). My question is if i go on sick leave after Christmas and I have the baby before my due date will work count the birth date as my first date of maternity leave or does the fact that i have a sick cert carry me through till my materntiy leave was about to start anyway. I hope i explained my question properly?
Milly83 Posts: 3620
Howdy! Your maternity leave won't start until the day that you requested it unless you change that. If you are on sick leave until that date, then so be it, that's different leave. I left 2 weeks before my intended maternity leave date on sick leave. I had to fill out these long winded sick leave forms but that worked
Positive2012 Posts: 481
Thanks SunShiny, if i happened to have the baby when i was on sick leave though would my ML dates with work still remain the same?
MiniJ Posts: 118
I'm nearly positive that the date of birth if it is before the date maternity leave was due to begin is the new start date for your leave regardless of sick certs :-(
Milly83 Posts: 3620
Oh yes, it's due to start when the baby is born then in that case!