maternity leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

downwiththissortofthing Posts: 113
I'm just wondering how many of you are being paid by your employer while on maternity leave? It's difficult to know how common it is for an employer not to pay, and I'm starting to get the impression that I'm being taken for a mug!
under construction Posts: 3458
I will be getting the social welfare pay of €280 week and then my employer tops this up so it adds up to my normal full pay. They do this for 22 weeks, then not for the last 4. I am then taking 4 weeks unpaid leave, and due 5 days bank holiday days and 3 weeks holidays, so my last 4 weeks will be fully paid by the employer. Hope this makes sense to you, seems a bit confusing, but they make us take any unpaid leave before holidays due. Also had to sign a form to say that if i left while on maternity leave i will have to pay back 100% of what they paid me, if i leave within 3 months of coming back 75% and 6 months 50%.
Tess72 Posts: 1173
I'm getting 6 months of full pay. The top amount of 280 from social welfare and my company makes up the difference to bring the amount up to my full pay. I'll be taking an additional 3 mths unpaid. Along with my holidays it comes to about 11 months out of work and work will spread my pay over the 11 months if I want. I work for a large multinational company. I have friends who work for small companies who are getting nothing from their employers. I guess for some small companies it's a big expense to pay a person who's out on maternity plus pay someone to cover for them. There's nothing you can do about it really as companies are not legally obliged to pay you anything. I definitely wouldn't stay with a company who doesn't offer maternity pay. If I were you I'd go back to work after your maternity leave and immediately start looking for a new job - one with a full maternity package.
downwiththissortofthing Posts: 113
I definitely wouldn't stay with a company who didn't pay either ideally, but it hasn't worked out that I could get a job with a company that did in time unfortunately. And we didn't want to put the babies off forever!
babyboo08 Posts: 295
i am getting the social welfare and my employer is topping it up for 26 weeks. then i am taking the 16 weeks unpaid as well. with holidays and bank holidays i get another 7 weeks (also paid) so i will be off work for 49 weeks. cant wait!!! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
motherhubbard Posts: 3037
I'm off for 31 weeks in total. 26 weeks social welfare and then work top me up so that I am paid in full for 18 of those weeks, so for 8 weeks I will only have the social welfare. The last 5 weeks are holidays and missed BH's so I will be fully paid by work again for those. Hope this helps.
short n sweet Posts: 1802
I work for a very small office so I will only be getting the government pay :o( - this would have been the same in the last company I worked for also - just the nature of the business I am in unfortunately .. Having said that I enjoy the job I am in at the mo and have no commute (used to commute 1.5 hours each way) so the better quality of life is worth not getting topped up IYKWIM .. it will be a struggle for 26 weeks but I think we should manage it
happycamper Posts: 186
I won't be getting paid a penny extra. And i really don't expect it. I know its a perk in some jobs and thats great but i know if i was an employer i wouldn't pay the top up so i'm not complaining. Why should they pay us when we're not working for them. Granted the keeping of the job open is only right but the paying is another thing and i think its right that its not obligatory for the employer to pay a top up. Maybe i'm mad its the babybrain taking over. but i'm on a fairly large salary the govt amt won't cover 1/3 of what i usually take home a week but thats the way it has to be and we have to survive on what we get. That brings me to another point. Isn't it mad how we complain oh i've no money blah blah blah but when we really are cut down to the bare minimum we can still survive some how. just shows what rediculous money we waste.
silíní Posts: 4219
[quote:3i7wxcwu]i am getting the social welfare and my employer is topping it up for 26 weeks. then i am taking the 16 weeks unpaid as well. with holidays and bank holidays i get another 7 weeks (also paid) so i will be off work for 49 weeks. cant wait!!! [/quote:3i7wxcwu] I'm the same, i work for the HSE so get my govt pay, and that's topped up by my employer.... Then taking 16 weeks unpaid, then holidays on top of that.....
jarashow Posts: 3083
I ticked the first option as I am getting the govn allowance and work pay me the rest so I get my normal salary, that's for the full 26 weeks. I can only carry 5 holidays over to next year so plan on taking 4 weeks or so unpaid at the end. I don't want to use all of next years holidays up as could need them should babs be sick etc.