Maternity Leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SoExcited Posts: 204
Hi Girls, Don't mean to be nosey but I'm just wondering about Maternity Leave and if you're all covered in your jobs. I'm not and was a bit surprised but then from what I'm hearing, alot of companies don't so I was just wondering?? SoExcited.
grumpy Posts: 1280
Yeah, I'm lucky enough that my company does. Although, it is Public Service, so we do get a good deal of benefits. Also, I'm taking the full 16 weeks unpaid, and work will spread my salary out over the whole year, so I'm never not getting paid. I think you should all enquire about that as it means no worrying about breaks in PRSI, VHI etc, etc.
Cowslip Posts: 761
We get paid for maternity leave. I hadn't given much thought to unpaid leave, the break in vhi and prsi would be a pain though... Does anyone know what the implications are for that ?
McDanny Posts: 1435
My company don't give a penny, so it looks like when the time comes I'll have to make do with the 265 per week from the government...
clucky Posts: 26471
we dont unfortunately
grumpy Posts: 1280
I'm not sure about the PRSI, but with the VHI, a girl in work was able to pay the lump sum she owed so that she didn't loose any benefits.
Smugmarried Posts: 705
Civil service as well. From March 07 we would get 26 weeks paid and 16 weeks unpaid. Add holidays to this and a person could be on maternity leave for 47 weeks!!! :eek
halo Posts: 1406
only state benefit for us. Company doesn't bother doing anything over and above what is strictly required by law for us.... and AFAIK, when out on Mat leave, you are regarded as still being in service, so your PRSI should be unaffected? check it out [url=http://www.oasis.gov.ie/birth/benefits_and_entitlements_relating_to_birth/:3els8o98]here[/url:3els8o98]
Sparklymum Posts: 1563
Happyout is right your PRSI isn't affected, neither by the way is your holiday entitlement, so you will still have your proper number of days to look forward to or get paid in respect of when you come back.
lamb nose Posts: 679
I will get paid for 6 months and then 6 months unpaid leave which I will be taking also. I am not planning on returning to my job after the full year is up but I will not tell them until I have to i.e a month before the year is up. Happy days! :joker