Mattress wrapping to prevent cot death?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lollyfp Posts: 2441
Hi all, Have any of you heard of this? I have come across this in a few places recently and it has got me thinking. Their research and reasoning seems sound so I am considering it but wondering if any of you have heard of it or considered it? Saw it on http://www.mumstown.ie/articles/detail?article_id=88 Their main points are... "Mattress-wrapping has been publicised nationwide in New Zealand since 1995, and during that time an estimated 165,000 babies have slept on wrapped mattresses. Prior to the commencement of mattress-wrapping, New Zealand had the highest cot death rate in the world (2.1 deaths per 1,000 live births). "However, following the adoption of mattress-wrapping the New Zealand cot death rate has fallen by 67pc -- and there has been no reported cot death among those babies who have slept on correctly wrapped mattresses." They say that... * Cot death (SIDS, crib death) is not a medical matter. It is caused by poisonous gases generated in the baby's sleeping environment. * The gases concerned are phosphines, arsines and stibines, which are all extremely toxic nerve gases. * The gases are produced in a baby's cot (or other sleeping environment) by the action of common household fungus on compounds of phosphorus, arsenic and antimony present in the mattress and in certain other bedding. The danger of cot death increases as a mattress is re-used from one baby to the next. * Babies can be protected from this gaseous poisoning by enclosing mattresses in a gas-impermeable cover which is itself not capable of the gas generation concerned, and using on top of the wrapped mattress specified bedding which is also not capable of that gas generation. For details of the mattress-wrapping protocol, click on the sidebar heading How to prevent cot death (SIDS). http://www.babesafe.com/ Curious as to what the rest of you think?????
neeov Posts: 4256
The mattress I have is free of antimony and arsenic, says so on the label. those are the chemicals that are implicated in cot death. Check you mattress before buying the wrapper.
Emme Posts: 4735
Hey Lolly, I got a mattress from Kiddicare - it's hollow in the middle and the cover is basically like putting on a pillow case around the frame. The case is all little holes in the middle. I didn't realise when I bought it it was like that - I was in a hurry for a mattress but having got it it does give me a bit more peace of mind although I doubt I'll ever not worry about SIDS whcih is probably a good thing as I won't be flippant! My connection is so bad today it'll probably take me an age to find it but if you're interested let me know and I'll find the link. Emme
Hey Emme, Please send me the link if you can so I can check it out - thanks! :wv
Emme Posts: 4735
No bother, it's speeded up a bit! Think this was the one. From a logical point of view it must be healthier than sleeping on a solid mattress. http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 0001_14053 There are two sizes available I think. :wv
BUMP - anyone else hear about this as I am still torn about whether to buy the ting for mattress wrapping????