Maybe Controversial - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MiniMeonBoard Posts: 6208
[quote="Smileykaz":3sn2qbrh]Honestly, I don't mind at all. We're not relying on any 'present' money at all, we won't be in debt after the wedding, we're dying to give our family and friends a day out.![/quote:3sn2qbrh] +1 we have nearly the majority of our money saved and by the time the wedding comes we hope to have it saved fully. After 12 yrs together we r def not getting married for the presents or money.. However i LOVE cards and would be upset if someone came without even a card to mark the day (which IMO is only really manners - well thats not really worded right but hope u get what I mean). PPl come get meal & drinks etc so i dont think a card is much.. I have never gone to a wedding without giving money or present. [quote="Smileykaz"]That said, one of my favourite threads on WOL is in newly weds and it's 'Worst present you got' and it's absolutley hilarious! I LOVE reading about the mad presents people bring to weddings! [quote] Oh i love that thread too. Give me a wee laugh when i read it...
BusyDee Posts: 8527
How could anyone not afford a card???? Pound (euro) shops etc have lovely ones for a Euro, there is a discount shop near me and they have a fantastic range of cards for every occasion that you could think of and ALL cost 89cent!!!! Way nicer than the ones in Easons for 6 euro!! I love cards so Id be very disappointed if anyone didnt give us a card at least. But I know alot of people wouldnt give an empty card (I know I never would no matter how broke I was) so we might aswell call a spade a spade! I suppose you would say then that yes we are expecting to get something BUT obviously thats not the reason we are getting married and if one more person says to me "Ah sure dont forget wedding pay for themselves" O:| O:| I think its nice to mark the occasion with something whether it be 20 euro in a card, a photoframe etc its the thought that counts! Ive kept all my 21st & 30th birthday cards, cards I got when I went to Australia for a year, our engagement cards and new house cards - I love looking back on them esp my 21st birthday card that I got from my parents as my mam died soon after. Im very sentimental like that. I even came across my parents wedding cards that they got 42 years ago and some of the people I know of but never realised they were friends and were at their wedding! I hate when I hear people saying "were hoping to get on average 200 off each couple" or "Im going to get the garden done with ALL the money we are going to get". I think thats such bad manners O:| O:|
jamjars Posts: 1721
[quote="DCee":30scxb71]How could anyone not afford a card???? Pound (euro) shops etc have lovely ones for a Euro, there is a discount shop near me and they have a fantastic range of cards for every occasion that you could think of and ALL cost 89cent!!!! Way nicer than the ones in Easons for 6 euro!! I love cards so Id be very disappointed if anyone didnt give us a card at least. But I know alot of people wouldnt give an empty card (I know I never would no matter how broke I was) so we might aswell call a spade a spade! I suppose you would say then that yes we are expecting to get something BUT obviously thats not the reason we are getting married and if one more person says to me "Ah sure dont forget wedding pay for themselves" O:| O:| I think its nice to mark the occasion with something whether it be 20 euro in a card, a photoframe etc its the thought that counts! Ive kept all my 21st & 30th birthday cards, cards I got when I went to Australia for a year, our engagement cards and new house cards - I love looking back on them esp my 21st birthday card that I got from my parents as my mam died soon after. Im very sentimental like that. I even came across my parents wedding cards that they got 42 years ago and some of the people I know of but never realised they were friends and were at their wedding! I hate when I hear people saying "were hoping to get on average 200 off each couple" or "Im going to get the garden done with ALL the money we are going to get". I think thats such bad manners O:| O:|[/quote:30scxb71] Completely agree with this whole post... love love love getting cards- kept the engagement ones up for ages and quite excited about getting a few acceptance cards next. Really bugs me hearing people talking about getting a loan for the wedding on the back of what cash they'll get...
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
See new thread in Newly Weds entitled "cost".
SaraD08 Posts: 1795
[quote="Jawl":2tgix3po]Just been reading through the forums, and it's also based on a conversation I had twice over the weekend. People saying they're not getting married for the presents, but just for themselves. Now, without wanting to put pressure on people who haven't got it, how would you feel if you got married and received no presents? :o0[/quote:2tgix3po] Have to say it didnt annoy me when some of my guests didint give us anything, and we did get married 2 weeks before xmas.... so it was an expensive time of year fro everybody without having to cough up for my wedding! However there was one or two couples who got married a couple of weeks before us like one got married a month eralier and the other gor married 7 weeks ealier... we gave them €200 each (which we couldnt actually afford at the time with our wedding sooo close) but they gave us nothing... O:| . now truthfully that did p*ss me off.... other than that we werent bothered!!
MiniMeonBoard Posts: 6208
[quote="DCee"] Ive kept all my 21st & 30th birthday cards, cards I got when I went to Australia for a year, our engagement cards and new house cards - I love looking back on them esp my 21st birthday card that I got from my parents as my mam died soon after. Im very sentimental like that. I even came across my parents wedding cards that they got 42 years ago and some of the people I know of but never realised they were friends and were at their wedding! [quote] yea im the same - have my 21st cards, engagement, new house - them all. Really love getting cards
pigeonwife Posts: 3789
[quote="Mrs2babridesoon":3kw5xoub]But what really bothers me is my brother (I will have to delete this soon so please don't quote me) he came to wedding with his wife and two adult children money is real tight with them (bad money management still saying that they don't cook so have all their meals out every single day) so I never expected a gift but I would have been absolutely thrilled with a card wishing us well. It makes me so angry my older sister said it to SIL nicely and she replied we can't afford a card. Then only last week I see he got new lap top :eek Oh there is a world of sugar I can go into but in this case all I really wanted was a card.[/quote:3kw5xoub] I hear you on this. My DHs brother was his best man and we did not receive so much as a card from him and his family and they are not at all strapped for cash. Now in fairness he was fantastic on the day but like that would have been nice to get a card from them. Anyway we asked him to be God Father for DS and once again not so much as a card on the day. O:|
whoop Posts: 1310
I don't want presents I want COLD HARD CASH PEEPS :o0 Like some others I love cards and I really appreciate them. I wouldn't mind not getting presents/money etc so long as the people I want there can attend. We haven't even thought about what we might get, it's irrelevant. We just want our loved ones to celebrate with us. Though one thing I will hold my hand up to is that I want a few drinks on the day and I won't have purse/money with me........ so I expect vodka. Otherwise anything is a bonus. You can't miss what you didn't have!
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
I didn't get a present from my chief bridesmaid, not even a card. A present I can do without but I am a sucker for a nice card, I have shoe boxes of them for special birthdays and occasions!
whoop Posts: 1310
[quote="mrs bmw":vqxy52wm]I didn't get a present from my chief bridesmaid, not even a card. A present I can do without but I am a sucker for a nice card, I have shoe boxes of them for special birthdays and occasions![/quote:vqxy52wm] I have the shoeboxes of cards also :o0 Love going through them!