Maybe Controversial - Page 4

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BigBird1 Posts: 1727
[quote="*jamjar*":1w5xgqnu]Oh I'm expecting AT LEAST €400 per person... I mean I have to pay like €200 for their dinner so the lease they can do is cover this and then some. I mean it's the wedding of the year, I mean yeah I guess it's about their company and stuff but they'r really lucky to get invited to my wedding... if I don't get money I'm just planning on cutting them out of my life forever. And I swear to god if someone turns up in a Coast dress :action28[/quote:1w5xgqnu] BRILLIANT!!! :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:
gerbil Posts: 3528
[quote="Tinkerbride":11l0yuae][quote="mrs bmw":11l0yuae]I didn't get a present from my chief bridesmaid, not even a card. A present I can do without but I am a sucker for a nice card, I have shoe boxes of them for special birthdays and occasions![/quote:11l0yuae] Same. There were a fair few people at our wedding, including BM's/Groomsmen that didn't even give us a card. We didn't expect any presents at all, I told loads of my friends id be annoyed with them if they bought us stuff (hotel was expensive to stay in and money was really tight for one or two of our friends) but a card? FFS, its a euro. I would NEVER turn up to a 21st without a card, let alone a bloody wedding. [b:11l0yuae]That business of "expecting" a certain amount from each person is crazy... do you think anyone actually does that[/b:11l0yuae]?![/quote:11l0yuae] ooooh yes :) Lost count of threads on WOL where people were extremely upfront about expecting €150/200 per couple attending - remember someone saying that if they didn't get that then the guests would barely have paid for their meal ...that was charming.... I think the recession may have curbed the worst of it ...
MiniMeonBoard Posts: 6208
[quote="Jawl":1bmxz3hc]I agree with you Dub Angel, and the others who said it's the manner in which it's said. I knew a colleague once who desperately needed the money, and was putting pressure on guests to only give money, because she'd booked a 5 star honeymoon that she couldn't afford, but was hoping the presents would cover it. It got to the point where she was telling us 'You MUST give me money'. I thougth that was very rude. Have the wedding you can afford, don't depend on cash gifts to fund it. Otherwise sell tickets! :o0[/quote:1bmxz3hc] :eek jeez there is a diff in wishing for money and basically saying to ppl i want cash only. That is soo rude. TBH i wouldnt even want to go to that wedding.
Jawl Posts: 8881
[quote:3630lo99]That business of "expecting" a certain amount from each person is crazy... do you think anyone actually does that?! [/quote:3630lo99] Unfortunately yes Tinkerbride, they do :eek SIL2b is constantly saying 150 people at 100 each you should at least make 15 grand! :o0 It's mental, and makes me feel uncomfortable actually, that she thinks we're measuring it like that.
dion Posts: 986
girls what would you do here; got married a year ago, wedding close by so people hardly at to travel, maybe 10-20 miuntes max, had free bar as it was gift from dh parents, no body had to spend a penny, now personally all i wanted was was for people to enjoy their day which they did, it was great day. anyway, there was 2 couples quite close to us that we got no card or present from, it did get to me as all i would of wanted was a good luck card.(also, did you ever get the feeling your being avoided after the wedding due to this) however, one of those couples is getting married in july, so.. what do you think we should get them..
ott Posts: 3920
[quote="dion":33b1wb3h]girls what would you do here; got married a year ago, wedding close by so people hardly at to travel, maybe 10-20 miuntes max, had free bar as it was gift from dh parents, no body had to spend a penny, now personally all i wanted was was for people to enjoy their day which they did, it was great day. anyway, there was 2 couples quite close to us that we got no card or present from, it did get to me as all i would of wanted was a good luck card.(also, did you ever get the feeling your being avoided after the wedding due to this) however, one of those couples is getting married in july, so.. what do you think we should get them..[/quote:33b1wb3h] I'd give them a card.
Tinkerbride Posts: 392
[quote="ottbride":13i0brdx][quote="dion":13i0brdx]girls what would you do here; got married a year ago, wedding close by so people hardly at to travel, maybe 10-20 miuntes max, had free bar as it was gift from dh parents, no body had to spend a penny, now personally all i wanted was was for people to enjoy their day which they did, it was great day. anyway, there was 2 couples quite close to us that we got no card or present from, it did get to me as all i would of wanted was a good luck card.(also, did you ever get the feeling your being avoided after the wedding due to this) however, one of those couples is getting married in july, so.. what do you think we should get them..[/quote:13i0brdx] I'd give them a card.[/quote:13i0brdx] +1. No more, no less.
workingmom Posts: 3429
I don't believe anyone gets married for the presents, but COME ON, of course presents are expected, it's like asking a guest if you were invited to a wedding would you expect a meal? and they'd say, no, we genuinely wouldn't expect a meal.? ... get real, there's ettiquette in everything.
dion Posts: 986
i was thinking of giving them one of the 10 sets of wine glasses that we got for ours. id just need to clean dust of the box first.
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
[quote="dion":2m58ye9p]i was thinking of giving them one of the 10 sets of wine glasses that we got for ours. id just need to clean dust of the box first.[/quote:2m58ye9p] Even that would be too good for them :o0 Keep your dusty glasses for house warming presents ;o) Just get them a card