Maybe Controversial - Page 5

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MiniMeonBoard Posts: 6208
[quote="Tinkerbride":1eee0k33][quote="ottbride":1eee0k33][quote="dion":1eee0k33]girls what would you do here; got married a year ago, wedding close by so people hardly at to travel, maybe 10-20 miuntes max, had free bar as it was gift from dh parents, no body had to spend a penny, now personally all i wanted was was for people to enjoy their day which they did, it was great day. anyway, there was 2 couples quite close to us that we got no card or present from, it did get to me as all i would of wanted was a good luck card.(also, did you ever get the feeling your being avoided after the wedding due to this) however, one of those couples is getting married in july, so.. what do you think we should get them..[/quote:1eee0k33] I'd give them a card.[/quote:1eee0k33] +1. No more, no less.[/quote:1eee0k33] +2 fair is fair. I have heard of a few ppl that got married and wrote down what everyone gave them and they r giving the same back - 1 of these brides got married on NYE.
dion Posts: 986
seriously girls would you really just give them a card??, i wouldnt want to stoop to their level, but il see what mood im in on the day.
MiniMeonBoard Posts: 6208
if you dont feel comfortable just giving them a card then give them some of your wine glasses - its still more than they give u
Tinkerbride Posts: 392
[quote="dion":3315dgf6]seriously girls would you really just give them a card??, i wouldnt want to stoop to their level, but il see what mood im in on the day.[/quote:3315dgf6] Its not stooping to their level when they didn't even get you a card! There's no way id give them anything, even if you didn't pay for the wine glasses somebody else did, and they bothered to go and get them for you. I know you dont give presents to get them, but seriously turning up to a wedding with nothing is bad manners. Plain and simple.
ott Posts: 3920
[quote="Tinkerbride":3tul5qkr][quote="dion":3tul5qkr]seriously girls would you really just give them a card??, i wouldnt want to stoop to their level, but il see what mood im in on the day.[/quote:3tul5qkr] Its not stooping to their level when they didn't even get you a card! [/quote:3tul5qkr] +1
happieout Posts: 3111
Is that not a bit hypocritical?? Most posters here are saying they have most of the cost of the wedding themselves / don't expect presents/ want everyone there to share the day, etc etc. However it seems the advice is that if someone doesn't bring anything, like in this case, then give them back nothing! So really then, presents are expected. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed if I got no presents or people made no effort to get me something for my wedding. It wouldn't have to be something big. I would rather people came to the day, rather than not come if they couldn't afford to give a present!
ott Posts: 3920
[quote="greeniegirl":2oixrrmk]Is that not a bit hypocritical?? [/quote:2oixrrmk] I don't think so. dion just knows for sure that the other couple don't expect a present now!
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
[quote="greeniegirl":julbxewp]Is that not a bit hypocritical?? Most posters here are saying they have most of the cost of the wedding themselves / don't expect presents/ want everyone there to share the day, etc etc. However it seems the advice is that if someone doesn't bring anything, like in this case, then give them back nothing! So really then, presents are expected. [/quote:julbxewp] Personally I struggle to find the money for every wedding I go to, but I find it from somewhere but with alot of difficulty, especially this year. If someone (especially if i know spends lavishly on themselves) gave me a card with nothing in it, when it came to their wedding, I would very much guilt free just give them a card.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
[quote:1jtzelch]Is that not a bit hypocritical?? Most posters here are saying they have most of the cost of the wedding themselves / don't expect presents/ want everyone there to share the day, etc etc. However it seems the advice is that if someone doesn't bring anything, like in this case, then give them back nothing! So really then, presents are expected.[/quote:1jtzelch] It's not about tit for tat but if someone didn't think it was necessary or important to get us a gift I would do the same. Anyway, most people only invite people they know very well and would have an idea of thei circumstances. If I knew someone couldn't afford to get us a gift I would still get them something for their own wedding but wouldn't be extravagant as it might make them uncomfortable. They would be all to aware that they hadn't gotten us anything and then we splashed out on them.
sugarkk Posts: 1384
Getting married for presents.... shocking :eek We all know it's for the tax breaks... :o0 Seriously though, not expecting anything, delighted with whatever we do get. Just hoping everyone can make it.