Maybe Controversial - Page 6

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
I dont believe anyone who says that they dont expect a gift and just want everyone to be happy and enjoy themselves. Seriously? Everyone "expects" that when you go to a wedding that you need to bring a gift and that when you are getting married the people you invite will give you a gift. Please show me the peson who has gotten married and received nothing at all from any of their guests and is perfectly fine and dandy with that.....I'd love to meet them.
stickwoman Posts: 2394
Went into bank to get rid of overdraft and was discussing about getting h2b's name put on mortgage after we're married. Bank manager says "oh and if you haven't saved enough for the wedding, we could always give you a loan." First thing I thought was "so much for clamping down on giving random loans" but then....... "Sure you'll be getting a fortune and will make it all back with the presents." First thing I thought was about this thread!
stickwoman Posts: 2394
Sorry, double post
sugarkk Posts: 1384
[quote="Columbo.":2zfpmrpi]I dont believe anyone who says that they dont expect a gift and just want everyone to be happy and enjoy themselves. Seriously? [/quote:2zfpmrpi] Yes, seriously. Some of our friends and family are unemployed, some are travelling from far distances. I really do just want them to come to the wedding if they can and be happy and enjoy themselves. I'm not Pollyanna though, if I give it some thought, I suppose yes, some people will bring gifts. What I'm saying though is that it really hasn't crossed my mind in the eight months we've been engaged about gifts.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
well I'm sure that there may be circumstances that would excuse someone but not to even give a card and a 20/euro picture frame or something?? Surely, nobody is that hard up.
BusyDee Posts: 8527
[quote="dion":127lbu50]i was thinking of giving them one of the 10 sets of wine glasses that we got for ours. id just need to clean dust of the box first.[/quote:127lbu50] I would give them a set! Its not costing you anything only a euro or 2 for a card. I would usually be the first to say FCUK them give em nothing but when it comes down to it I just couldnt not give anything! If anything it might make them want the ground to open up and swallow them >:o)
dion Posts: 986
the point i was mainly making is to buy a good luck card for the couple getting married is surely not asking to much, i think most people that replied can see the point.
Tinkerbride Posts: 392
[quote="Columbo.":dsp5jgvi]well I'm sure that there may be circumstances that would excuse someone but not to even give a card and a 20/euro picture frame or something?? Surely, nobody is that hard up.[/quote:dsp5jgvi] And in fairness, if someone really WAS this hard up, they'd hardly have the money to attend the wedding in the first place. They cost money, whatever way you look at it.