Meals to feeze

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

chucklebells Posts: 350
Hi all, I am due a baby in a couple of weeks and hope to 'batch freeze' some meals for hubby and I. Has anyone got any nice recipes? I was going to make shepards pie, lasagne, spag bol but has anyone else got any other ideas and recipes? Thanks :wv
Newme2013 Posts: 704
I'm interested in this too, I tend to only freeze beef/mince dishes like the ones you mentioned below. Would be interested to see if people have had success freezing chicken or other dishes.
Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
Chicken curry is fine for freezing. My mam reckons it tastes better that way.
Dot Cotton Posts: 1298
i freeze alot & my most popular ones are stew, beef burgingoen (sp), beef straganoff & the avoca chicken & broccoli bake. Links are below :) http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/be ... -3279.html http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-braised ... off-154984 http://100cookbooks.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -cookbook/ My friend also freezes quiches & said they come out perfect but i've never tried it myself :wv
streaks Posts: 3592
I usually do, chicken tikka, beef stew, bolognaise, chicken, bacon and mushroom in a cheesy sauce, fish pie. I do a massive shop, cook all of the above in one day and it does us for ages.
BusyBee29 Posts: 368
I do a big batch of soup and freeze them in containers in the portions I want. A bit of pasta can be added to on days that you want to bulk it up. Or add a potatoe.
MiniMeonBoard Posts: 6208
also interested in this. I would freeze lasagne, mince and soups. The odd time i have stew. Chicken curry is a good idea too.
ianstuart Posts: 1947
I cook and freeze the usual , spicy tomato soup , veg soup , leek n potato soup, lasagne , Chicken and bacon pasta bake , Beef stew , Shepherds pie , Curry's (Indian currys are yummy) . OP if you are trying to save time when baby comes you should try washing and chopping vegetables and putting them in freezer bags in portions you need. I do this if i have something coming up that i know ill be busy for. Ill chop up and portion.... Onions , spring onion, Mushrooms, Peppers Carrots Broccoli Cauliflower Soup mix. You could also bulk buy some meet and portion it up so all you have to do is open the freezer and take out eg pork chops , chicken breasts and the veg bag in the morning and let defrost.
Meggi Posts: 383
Horse lasagne freeze fairly well from what I hear. I usually make up big batches of tomato based sauce into which I add loads of veg and whizz it all up. Store it in batches of various sizes and then use it as required for bolognaise , lasagne (beef usually), meatballs and general pasta dishes.
Aces Posts: 123
Hi, here is a list i usually pick & choose from. We have a big chest freezer and once a month i do a shop and cook & freeze. its an exhausting day but saves so much time later on in the month. Hubby wouldnt be the best cook in the world, but if i am home late I can depend on him to have cooked whatever i had left out to thaw the night before. It means everyone is happy ! ;o) Spagetti Mousakka soups quiche chicken pie cake muffins curry vegetable bake stuffed chicken breast stuffed pork steak cannelloni burgers stew beef casserole beef bourginon pizza pizza dough roast veg and pasta fried rice spicy rice shepards pie savory mince garlic & breadcrumbed chicken butter chicken beef stroganoff chicken casserole mashed potato spring rolls veg & noodles sweet & sour chicken ratatouile lasagne chile con carne pancakes pork & beans & chorizo stew quesadillas? chicken & choriz paella pasta bakes