Meat cravings

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

iggy11 Posts: 91
Any other veggies out there finding themselves craving meat? Did you give in?
LittleLily Posts: 3682
I think your body is pretty reliable at letting you know what it wants and yours must be in need of something in meat, protein or maybe iron. If you don't want to eat meat there's loads of substitutes. Do you eat eggs? Those could be good for the protein.
MrsMommy Posts: 1112
I didn't crave meat when pregnant, but since I started breastfeeding I began to crave fish. I gave in and had some after 15 years or so! It was hard at the start but my body obviously needed it. I'm curious if I will still eat it when I wean him.
Winterlights Posts: 310
My sister-in-law was a strict vegetarian for years and she started eating chicken and ham during her pregnancy...and hasn't stopped! I've been a vegetarian since I was 13. In my early 20s I started to crave fish so I eat that now, so technically I'm not a real vegetarian. Now that I'm pregnant, I'm finding it very hard to stomach fish, and I feel really guilty that I'm not getting as much protein as I should be...so I'm trying to eat extra eggs and tofu.
I've given in twice now, even though I do eat a lot of protein I don't think it's always enough, hence the craving. Looking forward to not having to worry about all this soon, even though I'll miss my bump
libramoon Posts: 2402
When pregnant I had a craving for tuna but I fought it! I had no cravings for meat in fact when dh cooked it it turned my stomach more! Regarding the veggie diet and pregnancy I just ate what I usually do but I did take iron and high strength omega 3 & 6. I had a serious craving for Dahl tarka which was prob where I got all the protein from! You can get a veggie version of omega via the link below. Ds was 8lbs 3oz so he certainly didn't suffer on my veggie diet :) http://www.opti3omega.com/
Winterlights Posts: 310
LibraMoon- I've been craving Tarka Dahl a lot too! :)
That is good to hear! Initially I craved brazil nuts which was probably a protein thing too.
libramoon Posts: 2402
I would eat it till it came out of my eyes. Even when I had bad morning sickness I ate it and it was one of the few things that didn't come back up. I also craved fried rice when sick so that was prob for the protein in the eggs!