Meatloaf?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Ellefun Posts: 1312
Anyone else like and still eat meatloaf or am I stuck in the mire of the 1980s boring cooking?! I have mince out for the dinner and got got a hankering for meatloaf. Stupid question but do you need to whisk the egg when using it to bind the meat? What are your recipes... if any.
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
Oh thanks - I now have a craving for my Mums homemade meatloaf, mashed potatoes, peas and gravy. I'm not having lunch until 2pm - and now I'm starvin' !!!! :duh: :duh: :duh: :o0 I don't have Mums recipe to hand, but as far as I can remember, she would beat the egg before binding the mince. Would you attempt Nigellas meatloaf recipe.......hard boiled eggs in the middle.......ugh, I think I'll pass thanks! This is a regular recipe and this is the boiled egg one
Oh that sounds simple and tastey... the non hard boiled egg one :hic . You're a star bar :thnk
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
I have leftover meatloaf for my lunch in a few mins! Took it out of the freezer last night. I put mince, sausage meat (take the skin off a few sausages and use the meat), breadcrumbs, worcheshire (sp) sauce, dried herbs, cooked diced onion, tomato ketchup and some beaten egg to bind it all together. It's yum and very economical. Looking forward to my lunch now!
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
This is the recipe I use from the bbc and it is delish, I actually havent made it in months might do so the weekend :wv Ingredients 750g/1lb 10oz lean minced beef 175g/6oz pork sausage meat 1 egg, beaten 1 medium onion, finely chopped 1 clove garlic, crushed 1 tablespoon sage leaves, chopped 1 tablespoon mustard 1 heaped tablespoon tomato purée 110g/4oz fresh breadcrumbs ½ tsp paprika salt and freshly ground black pepper Preparation method 1.Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. 2.Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly - it s best to use your hands here. 3.Transfer the mix to a 900g/2lb loaf tin and pat down until level. Cover the top of the mixture with an oiled piece of greaseproof paper. 4.Bake in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes or until the meatloaf is cooked through. (Remove the paper 15 minutes before the end of cooking).
Ooh I'm looking forward to it now. I'll be wrapping it in pastry too. I loved the way my mam used to make it. Yum yum.... lashing of gravy too.
Drummerswife Posts: 3497
Thanks ladies. The kid I babysit is always asking for meatloaf for dinner (his mum used to make it but she passed away last year) I never had a clue how to do it. Might make an attempt now or dies anyone know where to get a ready made one (I'm a bit lazy when it comes to there dinners one has special needs so I wouldn't have a lot of time to spend on preparing)
Dancing Queen Posts: 2591
I just made Rissoles for dinner, which is basically little meatballs in a beef stock slow cooked and then served with mash. Mmmm. Comfort food.
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
Ah cr*p why did I come back to this thread - first of all meatloaf for lunch AND THEN recipes for it too!!!! MEEEEE SOOOOO HUNNNNGGGRRY!!! :duh:
R2theB Posts: 1660
I've never had it or made it before, I'm going to have to give it a bash, it sounds delicious. Am off wheat at the moment though, could I substitute the breadcrumbs with something else? Spelt breadcrumbs maybe?