Meeting with Hospital after Delivery? What Gives?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babog1981 Posts: 349
Hi Ladies, Just wondering if any of you had any experience of this. I delivered my baby a month early by emergency c-section. I had mentioned a change in the pattern of movements at a standard check up and it was investigated that day ... after a full day of traces and a scan and many many doctor opinions, I was sent home and told to come back 3 days later for a follow up. I went to the follow up with no concerns but after a trace, a scan, and another trace found myself being sent for an emergency c-section ... baby was in distress... I apparently had quite a bad bleed and baby while born pink and crying did at 3 min need CPR and resuscitation ... delighted to say that all has ended well and after a stint in intensive care our gorgeous little man is settling in at home. [color=#FF0000:zsyxy27p]However ... to get down to the initial question .... I have been invited to the hospital to discuss my delivery and the events around it. My hubby and I are slightly taken aback and a little suspicious ... don't know if this is standard hospital procedure or something more sinister and more inline with them covering their backsides ...[/color:zsyxy27p] Just wondering if anyone had a similar invite and perhaps could reassure us that what isn't at the end of this meeting a form and a disclaimer .... Many Thanks
LittleLily Posts: 3682
Im no help but I think that would be quite unusual (as you first thought). The WOL user twoboys might be a good person to ask. In my experience most people who want a meeting to discuss their birth usually have to seek it, and possibly go through a few different departments before eventually getting to meet with the person they need.
MrsMoonshine Posts: 71
Hi Sorry to hear you had such a difficult birth. Not sure where you had your baby but I know in the rotunda they have an open disclosure policy now whereby they are very forthcoming in discussing any issues from the outset. When I had my daughter there was an issue with my epidural and the consultant anaethesist came to discuss it on the post natal ward without me raising the issue. I think it is a positive approach to foster transparency and a culture of openness. It also gives you the opportunity to talk through what happened and perhaps any worried u might have for future pregnancies. Maternity hospitals have had such bad reports in recent years so I assume it's a way of trying to improve how they work