Membrane Sweep

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

refchick Posts: 122
Hi girls Im hoping someone will have been through this, Im 39 weeks and 2 days and had a sweep this morning at my hospital appointment, during the sweep my consultant said I hope u have ur bags packed because u r 4cm already :eek I couldn't believe it because I haven't been getting any pains. Since the sweep I've had no bleeding or pains :weep does this mean it hasn't worked???
theoracle Posts: 7664
I presume this is not your first? There are 2 factors relevant, one is dilation and the other thining/shortening of the cervix - did he mention anything about that? Usually if you are about to go the sweep doesnt really add much to it. I had a heap of sweeps on my 4 pregnancies, and the only time it 'worked' was when I was ready to go into labour anyway and they actually kept me in hospital then as 7 hours later I had my dd2. anyway. My tip would be at first sign of pain head to hospital - sounds like you might have a very short labour esp. if this is your second.
MrsMtoB Posts: 1212
Hiya, I was 3cm dilated when I got the sweep on a Mon afternoon, went into labour on the Wed morning and baby decided to stay put till the Friday! I nearly went mental!
Thanks girls, you're right this is my 2nd, he didnt mention about thining/shortening of the cervix, he just looked shocked at the 4cm and said oh youll go soon, bags need to be ready! He made me an appointment for Wednesday but said he'll not see me as i will have gone!! I started to get some pains and alot of pressure in my lower back late this afternoon, also had abit of a show! I have went to bed and am sleeping on a towel just incase (my waters went in a gush last time) :yelrotflmaosmilie: But then nothing!!! All pains and pressure have stopped, I could have swore it would be tonight O:| ah well as long as my lo is happy in there I should be too :thnk
wifetob Posts: 936
With DS I had a sweep Wed morn - had brazton hicks all week, a show on Thur morn and started cramping Friday. 1st baby so at the drop of a hat went to the A&E - I had started but was too early to stay in so I went home. I felt the pains getting stronger and went to bed hoping they would wake me up. Woke next morning - NOTHING! Was livid. Had a hot bath, went for a walk and had a curry that day - but was resigned to the fact that I would have to be induced. Waters went that night at midnight and DS was born the next day. Best of luck - It's such a special time. I wish I was at your stage now :o0
[quote="wifetob":5d2l61u6]With DS I had a sweep Wed morn - had brazton hicks all week, a show on Thur morn and started cramping Friday. 1st baby so at the drop of a hat went to the A&E - I had started but was too early to stay in so I went home. I felt the pains getting stronger and went to bed hoping they would wake me up. Woke next morning - NOTHING! Was livid. Had a hot bath, went for a walk and had a curry that day - but was resigned to the fact that I would have to be induced. Waters went that night at midnight and DS was born the next day. Best of luck - It's such a special time. I wish I was at your stage now :o0[/quote:5d2l61u6] Thanks wifetob I've been having loads of pressure and Braxton hicks today but still nothing much, the pressure at times is really strong and really feels like my LO is trying to escape If they are still there tomorrow I might phone the hospital and see what they think, maybe they will check me again and that will get me going. I have got to 4cm without knowing so I'm afraid of my waters going and the baby coming too fast to get to hospital :eek