Menu help please, vegetarians in particular!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

teapotty Posts: 2085
Right so I was reading on OF the things that annoy people at weddings and a few vegetarians mentioned that they hate when the veg option has goats cheese in it. I totally agree, hate the stuff. Anyway we're trying to create our wedding menu and I'd love to know what people think is a really really nice vegetarian main course? We can have whatever we want so please think beyond "typical" wedding food- think of restaurants or meals at home that were the nicest vegetarian meals and let me know. Thanks!!
theoracle Posts: 7664
Chargrilled red pepper stuffed with spiced rice and mozarella accompanied by roasted baby potatoes and mixed salad leaves Creamy wild mushroom fettucine Chickpea and spinach filo parcel with baby potatoes and spicy beetroot salad Baked pumpkin with nutmeg, chilli and garlic with basmati rice garnished with cranbarries and pistacchio nuts (Jamie oliver recipe)
MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
My options are: Starter: Baked Portobello Mushrooms - topped with cream cheese, flavoured with fresh herbs and chilli, served with crisp salad leaves and roasted beetroot chutney Main: Bean Tagine - Mixed Beans with Moroccan Spices. The manager said the Tagine is to die for, and is bit different from the normal veggie options.
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Some great suggestions there! I can just add the opinion of my sister, who is a veggie. She haaaaates to see anything wrapped in filo pastry, for [i:3hemz1b4]years[/i:3hemz1b4] this was the only veggie option at functions / weddings / sometimes even in restaurants and she said she has totally overdosed on filo pastry in her short life :o0 Have you many veggies attending your wedding? Could you nominate a Head Veggie (or your best friend out of the veggies) to scan the options for you and give you a green light? I'll have 5-6 veggies at mine, but my sister (who will be my bridesmaid) will have total choice over the veggie option, because she's the one I most want to enjoy her meal!
bobbyjoe Posts: 395
I hate getting a completely different dish because everyone just stares at what your eating. I would like something that i can have all the usual veg/pots with like everyone else so something like a nut cutlet or veggie kiev (they can be really nice). I hate getting a dish of over cooked stuffed peppers that i only end up picking at. I'm sure some places put real effort into veggie meals but i havent really experienced it to be honest :-(
Daisywall Posts: 577
[quote="thelittlewife":2wipdkea] I would like something that i can have all the usual veg/pots with like everyone else so something like a nut cutlet or veggie kiev (they can be really nice)[/quote:2wipdkea] I like nut roasts, they are so tasty!
ott Posts: 3920
[quote="Daisywall":2ihpv7lh][quote="thelittlewife":2ihpv7lh] I would like something that i can have all the usual veg/pots with like everyone else so something like a nut cutlet or veggie kiev (they can be really nice)[/quote:2ihpv7lh] I like nut roasts, they are so tasty![/quote:2ihpv7lh] +1 to this. I used to be a vegetarian and hated getting a pasta dish (or something like that) when everyone else was having meat and vegetables and potatoes. A nut roast or a bean roast or something along those lines is what I'd go for.
MrsAH Posts: 3715
I'm one of the veggie goats cheese haters, even it if did eat it it has been on all bar two wedding menus. One of which was my sister's so I got to choose myself. Love some of the suggestions above. I love the stuffed pepper idea, or chargrilled peppers in a salad. For the main, I think a nut roast is a great idea especially for a winter wedding. Can I just add that spring rolls are a terrible option (no offence intended to anyone who has had it), I would never order a spring roll as a starter unless I was in a thai/chinese restaurant. I actually got two spring rolls as a wedding MAIN once. Awful.
BusyDee Posts: 8527
I actually :lvs goats cheese! But I know a lot of people dont like it. Im not really a fussy veggie, I'll eat anything bar eggs. I always get veg and potatoe with the meal no matter what it is :o0
teapotty Posts: 2085
That's girls, lots of things to think about but you've been very helpful! I eat meat but I also really appreciate that pasta tossed in tomato or veg spring rolls are really disappointing for vegetarians!! Since we have free reign over what we have on the menu we might as well make it as nice as possible!