Menu Help

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

luckyinlove08 Posts: 305
Hi Girls I'm trying to decide which menu option to go for. we are huge foodies so i wanted to do something different and we came up withthe idea of a tasting menu but now i'm getting second thoughts. So here are the options; Option A - A Tasting Menu - 7 courses (no choice) Option B - The Normal dinner menu with a choice Which would you prefere?
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
Hi Lucky In Love, while the tasting menu is a really good idea, particularily if there are a lot of foodies going, it will probably take them all night to serve you the seven courses. Also, for non foodies they might prefer the option of choosing their dinner. It really depends on the people you're inviting.
Thanks for the advice Yvey2010, it's always good to get a second opinion.
havemovedon Posts: 2013
I love the idea of a tasting menu, would go for that if I could. It's lovely to have a bit of everything and you'll please everyone. It's something different, go for it.
LittleLily Posts: 3682
I chose the tasting menu, because I just love food, and if I was attending a wedding thats what I'd love to get. With 7 courses theres definetly going to be something in there for everyone. Thats a really unique idea, none of the venues we visited offered this.
xx fairy mommy xx Posts: 1833
i went for the normal menu. I love food myself and really apreciate a really nice menu but tasting menus quite often include less popular items like something with foie gras or offal or that kind of thing, and definately a fish/shellfish (not saying this is less popular, just not my bag). suppose despite the fact that people will have plenty to choose from and will have a good meal even if they dont eat everything, you wil still have to pay for everything. maybe by tasting menus you mean to serve platters of things to the table for the whole table to choose from and if this is the case it be marginally better value wise but then I often find that even if i'm starved at a meeting or something, when lunch is provide in sambo form, i'll just have 1 quarter cause i dont want to appear to greedy. Maybe i'm over thinking this??? end of the day its what suits you. We did go to a wedding once which had a served starter, a buffet salad, served soup, served main, buffet dessert. It was amazing and there was loads of time between course so there was time to absorb it but i felt like we were eating for hours and was kind of sick of eating by the end of it!!
rej Posts: 216
Have to say I voted for the usual menu cos I would wonder how long it would take to serve a tasting menu. It probably depends on how many people you have, but I would be afraid that you would spend hours getting through all the courses.
DipDab Posts: 1172
I voted for the tasting menu - I would love something like it. Especially for people who are into food, its a good way of putting your stamp on the day! I would talk to the hotel about timings though, you don't want people to still be eating at 11pm or something!
sinead266 Posts: 914
i went for tasting menu as it unusual and would be something there for everyone but as op said i would ask about the time frame as you dont want to be sitting eating for ages :o0
Thanks for all the advice girls, it's great to get all the different opinions and views. I really appreciate all the feedback :thnk :thnk