Methods of coping with labour?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

maviscruet Posts: 73
Hi all just wondering what you would recommend to prepare for coping with labour? I am 20 weeks and starting to feel a bit worried as I haven't really done anything other than some exercise! Is Gentlebirthing good? Does it teach you breathing techniques? I have started doing antenatal pilates so hopefully that will help but am just wondering generally re options, everyone seems to be very knowledgeable about breathing, bouncy balls etc and am feeling a bit at sea!! Even if anyone could give me a good website to have a look at that would be brilliant. thanks ladies!
strangeangel Posts: 1269
I found prenatal yoga gave me a good base, though I won't say I actually used a huge amount of it in labour. But I did use one particular breath and some positions during early labour which helped. Other than that I did nothing to prepare either - once it comes down to it you don't really have much choice other than to manage :)
lush11 Posts: 2877
I did yoga, gentlebirthing and reflexology during pregnancy but to be honest nothing really prepared me. What did help though was humming!! Dont ask me why but i was like someone possessed when i got a contraction and hummed my way through them. Myself and my hubbie still laugh at it. I wasnt like any of those women on One Born Every Minute, there was no screaming or anything like that, just humming and it helped me along with rocking. The pain is manageable but then again i was only 3cm when i got the epidural so not sure how bad it would have gotten. They way i saw it was, i wasnt going to get a medal for not getting an epidural so give it to me.
strangeangel Posts: 1269
[quote="lush11":3c67a9t9]I did yoga, gentlebirthing and reflexology during pregnancy but to be honest nothing really prepared me. What did help though was humming!! Dont ask me why but i was like someone possessed when i got a contraction and hummed my way through them. Myself and my hubbie still laugh at it. [/quote:3c67a9t9] We do a humming breath in prenatal yoga which is supposed to help with contractions, so sounds like you were doing the right thing even if it wasn't a conscious effort :) Must remember that one myself this time!
flowerb Posts: 126
I didn't have an epidural and how I coped was using deep breathing techniques and the pain is managable O:o)
Mamabelle2011 Posts: 363
Hi maviscruet, congrats on your pregnancy! :o)ll I did some prenatal yoga, lovely at the time but to be honest I didn't remember any of it when the time came! I went for some cranio-sacral sessions which were originally for sciatica (which they sorted in a jiffy) but ended up getting a lot of general relaxation from them. I've seen from other friends that you can do a lot of things (and spend a lot of money!!) and really what will probably help the most is keeping your general fitness up with something like swimming, which is easy on your pelvis & will keep you flexible. Try and sit on an exercise ball in the evenings when watching tv as it supports your pelvis well too. Most importantly be good to yourself and go for lovely walks & get some massages etc in. Lots of r&r before the big event! When you're in the moment being rested & relaxed is the best thing you can do to prepare for it. Take one born every minute with a pinch of salt as well! :)
maviscruet Posts: 73
Thanks for the replies - its really helpful to find out how everyone got on and different things that helped. My pilates instructor has recommended an exercise ball so I must invest in one. Have started swimming as well and am trying to go for as many walks as possible. Wasn't sure about massages - is there anywhere that is good to go? Also are there any particular breathing techniques that help? I know deep breathing is supposed to help keep you calm and I tend to shallow breathe when stressed anyway so I think I will need to practise. And only watch the nice bits of One Born Every Minute! :)
summersurprise Posts: 1276
[quote="flowerb":12k7ky4l]I didn't have an epidural and how I coped was using deep breathing techniques and the pain is managable O:o)[/quote:12k7ky4l] +1 on the above. Both times. I felt the breathing was very important and something to focus on, I did use a Tens machine and Gas & Air also, while sittying on a Ball, but the breathing was the main thing for me that helped me through it.
lush11 Posts: 2877
[quote="strangeangel":20hqgb9b][quote="lush11":20hqgb9b]I did yoga, gentlebirthing and reflexology during pregnancy but to be honest nothing really prepared me. What did help though was humming!! Dont ask me why but i was like someone possessed when i got a contraction and hummed my way through them. Myself and my hubbie still laugh at it. [/quote:20hqgb9b] We do a humming breath in prenatal yoga which is supposed to help with contractions, so sounds like you were doing the right thing even if it wasn't a conscious effort :) Must remember that one myself this time![/quote:20hqgb9b] God, there ya go! I must be a natural. Felt it helped so much though, cant explain it. Also i know friends who said they didnt like anyone rubbing their back or touching them during labour but i was the opposite, i felt that when my husband held my hand or rubbed my back it took my mind off the pain slightly. I'll definitely be doing the humming again.
Chubbums Posts: 699
[quote="Mamabelle2011":10e22zag] Try and sit on an exercise ball in the evenings when watching tv as it supports your pelvis well too. [/quote:10e22zag] I have one of these that I got with a yoga set a couple of years ago in Dunnes....is it ok to use this or do I need to get a specific birthing ball?