Midwife led unit in our lady of lourdes

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mammy2be Posts: 257
Anyone been?? Have my first scan on Friday and am hoping to get into the midwife let unit - how do i go about this do i just ask? what are the pro's and con's
big mama Posts: 623
hi as far as i know on your first appointment they should of mentioned it ??? i had my children in the lourdes and was asked on previous babs would i consider it . anyway i wasnt suitable due to previous complications , as far as i know you have to be pretty low risk and the midwifes run all your visits and deliver baby etc so by that time you are due you should have a nice relationship with them , however if you need any extra help fom doc etc when delivering you will be moved to that , i had great reports from loads of girls i know who delivered there . :thnk
Thanks, hopefully i will be low risk and get in.
shameless Posts: 20
Hi there Im 37 weeks pregnant and I am going to have my baby in the MLU in Drogheda. I have found them fantastic. When I have my appointments Im seen straight away and often see the same midwife. They are very supportive and provide great reassurance. The only con is that if you want the epidural then you have to be moved to the public ward. However they do offer gas and air and pethidine. You have your own room, with a tv, radio etc and your partner can stay with you overnight. They also have a big birthing pool in the room which is used for labour. I think its a fantastic service and cant believe that its free!! Will keep you posted on how I get on!!
Wolaholic Posts: 477
That's brilliant clairebride. I'm interested in the MLU too. Good luck!
Also mammy2be I forgot to say that you should mention it at your first appointment in the hospital that you want to go to the MLU and then all your other appointments will be in the MLU if you are suitable and meet their criteria. You will be low risk if you do not have any medical conditions that may affect your pregnancy such as high blood pressure, diabetes etc. Hope this helps!!
Thanks for that Clairebride that's really reassuring. Keep me posted on how you get on as i'd be really interested, thanks again.
well yesterday went really well, although we were there for 3 hours!! Met Midwife and she was really nice and said that i am a perfect candidate for the MLU thank god. Next appointment is in 10 weeks so they will show me around the MLU then. Had my scan and everything is fine TG, pictures are a bit freaky though - looks like an alien, but it was amazing to see it one the screan although i thought the girl scanning me went very fast and we didn't really get to see much. Anyone know if i will be scanned again?
Hi mammy2be thats great that all went well. I replied in your other post but like I said I only had 1 scan which I was really surprised with as I had expected one at 20 weeks, but they said they only do one. So for reassurance (as everyone kept telling me horror stories) I had the 3D scan for 200 euro in Swords. I know my first appointment was 3hrs as well, but in the MLU the longest I have waited is 10 mins!!!