Midwives Clinic in Holles St

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

libragirl Posts: 34
Hi girls, Just wondering if anyone is attending the Midwives Clinic in Holles St? The Outpatients midwives clinic in the hospital as opposedto the Community Midwives. I'm going public and had my first hospital appt yesterday and would like to go with the midwives clinic from now on - Just wondering is anyone here has gone to the clinic and how they found it? If so what Clinic did you go to - i'm booked in for the Tuesday evening clinic - there's one on a monday afternoon and thursday afternoon too - I think they are run by different midwives - would anyone recommend one over the other?? Thanks a mil Libra Girl
3littlemen Posts: 999
I'm not much help to you as I only had one apt with them. Once they found out I was carrying twins I had to move to a consultant led option. I can't remember which evening I attended but I found them lovely it was much quieter than semi private and I was in and out in less than half hour. With Semi private I could be often waiting over 2 hours. On my first pregnancy I was also semi private but I just had a midwife at the delivery, she was one of the community midwifes in wicklow and I found her lovely which is why I wanted to go with midwife led on my second pregnancy. With the twins I went early transfer home so again a community midwife came to my home for 2 days after discharge from hospital and I found it great she had much more time to go through stuff with me and examine the babies. If I were to go again it's def something I would go for. Best of luck
Thanks for the reply 3littlemen - the midwives clinic sounds great. I deffo think I'm going to go for it. Congrats on the twins! You must be Busy!! Cheers Libra Girl
mimiblossom Posts: 589
[quote="libragirl":399f88ih]Hi girls, Just wondering if anyone is attending the Midwives Clinic in Holles St? The Outpatients midwives clinic in the hospital as opposedto the Community Midwives. [/quote:399f88ih] Hi Libragirl, Just wondering what the difference is??
Hi mimiblossom, the midwives cllinic in Holles street is a clinic thats run in the hospital itself. You go to the hospital for your appointments but you go to a dedicated midwives clinic. The community midwives clinic is ran in certain areas and with that you'll see a midwives at a clinic somewhere in your local area and you can be part of an early transfer home scheme but you can only attend the community midwives if you are in their catchment areas. I hope thaty explains it - thats my understaning of it anyway - have a read on the Holles Street website: [url:3vit6jt6]http://www.nmh.ie/iopen24/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=2_7_61;[/url:3vit6jt6] Best of luck! Libra Girl
Thanks Libragirl! I dont think i am in the catchment area for the community midwives. So does that mean if i was to go to the midwives clinic in Holles Street, I wouldn't have to see a consultant (provided there are no problems)? Cos this is what i am looking for. And does this then affect whether you can go semi private / private?
mrs gerard Posts: 1669
hi there mimi i am doing the domino scheme at the moment as are a few more on here how far along are you?? its just they book up fierce fast, if i were you i would give them a quick call now to see if they can take you on before you research anymore as you might be disappointed which would not be good!!! O:o)
Thanks Mrs Gerard, I am only 4 and a half weeks. Just trying to get my head around everything. All i know is that from a personal and financial point of view i dont want to go to a consultant. Provided everything progresses ok i would be happy to just see a midwife / group of midwives. I read the info on the website and im still not sure if i am in the catchment area. I am in Dublin 24. My cousin used the Domino scheme a few years ago. But she was living in Sandymount, so within the cathment of the city limits. And she had a home birth. Is the Domino Scheme the same as the Midwives Clinic in Holles Street? I'm confused!! So sorry if i sound a bit dim! :-8
mrs gerard Posts: 1669
mimi will you stop! i was bawling one day because i couldnt decide what to do!!! the midwives clinic is when you go into holles street MC for each of your appointments domino you have all of your appointments (other than the scan) will be locally, i think that d24 shoudl be okay, im just down the road from you in d16 and im in the catchment so id say definitely!! what is your due date? i would seriously give them a ring and register your interest. any other questions please ask or pm me, i was the same girl, my head was RECKED trying to decide what to do
3littlemen Posts: 999
Just to let you know if you go with the midwives clinic you can still go with semi private accommodation but you have to pay €500 yourself and the rest is covered by your health insurer.