Milk replacement

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Reston Posts: 1321
Having being officially diagnosed with PCOS I need to change my diet. I need to cut out dairy. Has anyone any suggestions what I can use in tea as that's my main worry. I know almond milk tastes nutty and I don't want to overwhelm the taste of the tea. I know I should just have black tea but I've given up chocolate...I can't give up my cuppa too!
LittleLily Posts: 3682
Not mad on soy milk myself so I couldn't recommend that but I like rice milk. Its kinda watery but I think I prefer it because its sort of not pretending to be something its not, if that makes any sense? You can buy it in little cartons of it in the health food shop, you know the size that you stick a straw in the hole to drink? So you could try the little carton first to see if you like it before committing to a big carton. Actually, you could probably buy little ones of a lot of them this way and do a taste test. You could create your own milk replacement ratings system. Beware of soy milk etc with sweetner in them. They taste rank.
Rogue User Posts: 6101
I tried this and thought it was the best of all the dairy alternatives. Still not milk but close enough. It is a coconut milk but not the heavy stuff you get in tin cans. It is sweetened with apple juice.
Reston Posts: 1321
Thanks for the replies girls. I saw on various forums people were saying the rice milk is watery but that doesn't bother me. I drink slimline milk which is fairly watery! I like the idea of the coconut milk. Does it taste coconutty? Yum!!
Rogue User Posts: 6101
[quote="Reston":36ja3ctj]Thanks for the replies girls. I saw on various forums people were saying the rice milk is watery but that doesn't bother me. I drink slimline milk which is fairly watery! I like the idea of the coconut milk. Does it taste coconutty? Yum!![/quote:36ja3ctj] It actually doesn't taste coconutty at all. Well, I don't think it does. It's kinda like that coconut water. Then again you could use coconut milk from a tin too? It would be heavy but it would taste great and would be the least processed of the alternatives.
Couchkitten Posts: 438
I'm not fully dairy free but I'm lactose intolerant, not sure if it would be any good in your situation but Avonmore do a lactose free milk that I find a godsend. It's in most of the supermarkets
pallygal Posts: 267
I use coconut milk and I just get it in dunnes. It's yummy in pancakes and porridge and its ok in tea.
ructions Posts: 2689
z
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
You don't need to give up dairy altogether if you have PCOS. Just switch to organic milk. It's the hormones in milk that play havoc with PCOS sufferers so switching to organic gets rid of that problem. Actually dairy is quite important especially when TTC. Also- do not go near soy if you have PCOS. It's a big no no as it mimics estrogen in the body.
LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
I drink Alpro soy milk light, I prefer the taste to the regular Alpro soy milk. It's also nice with cereal and I would cook with it too.