Mirena Coil

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Chococat Posts: 1632
Anyone have any good or bad experiences? I am due to get it in 3 weeks & I'm a bit skeptical, I don't know much about it. Does it take long to be inserted?
Biancee fiancee Posts: 907
I have also been advised to have the mirena coil fitted (to deal with prob periods) I am VERY skeptical...havent had any kids yet.
july09bridetobe Posts: 31
i had it done and i found it brilliant, i had it fitted 7 years ago when it first came out, came off it for a while, and am getted it fitted again in 2 weeks, my experience was that although it took a while in doctors office, same as a smear, undress, get metal thing in right place, but the actuall insertion took only a few seconds, a bit of cramping afterwards - mild period cramps, but i was fine the next day. after a few months of spotting i had no periods for 4 and a half years, no worries about forgetting the pill, no accidents, no pmt, no spot break outs, i cant wait to have it put back in,
Ficidy Posts: 1753
I went to have it put in 4 years ago, but it didn't work. The doctor said that due to the fact that I hadn't had any babies my cervix was too small and she couldn't insert it. I also remember it being incredibly painful. She had to stop as she said if she tried to keep inserting it it could've damaged my womb. Not trying to put a dampner on things for you, but that's just my own personal experience. I'll never go through that again unless I've already had a baby.
Chococat Posts: 1632
I've had my babies already, I was a bit worried about it coming lose & having an accident. Is that possible? Does it effect your sex drive?
Ascona Posts: 63
I had the mirena coil for 3 years, getting it fitted was slighly uncomfortable as i have had no kids. However, during the first 6-8 months I had terrible pains around ovulating, the doctor told me it was normal and I put up with it and it eventually went away. The other problem was that I began getting large boil like spots around my chin constantly. I got it removed in February and my chin has cleared up, no spots at all. I started on Dianette also which has probably helped with that and as I am getting married in October I really wanted to get my skin in order. This is not the case for everyone but that has been my experience. The only plus it has in my opinion is that you don't have to worry about taking pills everyday!
july09bridetobe Posts: 31
sweet heart. everyone is different re sex drives, but i didnt notice any difference being on mirena to pill, re accidents, there are small strings that hang down from the opening of your cervix, you have to get them checked after 6/12months, but you can check them yourself for piece off mind, they are right up the top, so dont go screaming to the gps if you cant feel then straight away like i did, only to be told that they had curled up some way and i hadnt been feeling in the corner they were hiding away in :-8 . also the myrena works 3 ways, its hormonal like pill, its an iud to interfere with egg attaching to lining, and i think there was some anti sperm stuff as well. so accidents are well covered. anyway, as i said earlier i loved it, didnt find it that uncomfortable to be fitted, and didnt have any worries about forgetting the pill which i do about once a week these days O:| , hence cant wait to get it fitted again,
MrsOBrien1412 Posts: 3971
[color=indigo:icjf1593]I had the coil fitted back in June (2nd time having it fitted) first time it was hell on earth and I had it removed after 6 months I didn't have spotting I seemed to have a full blown period for 6 months O:| O:| At the mo I'm just having spotting and have to go back to the gyne to have it checked in 2 weeks time. The first time it was fitted was in the doctors and it was a little uncomfortable and the 2nd time was under anesthetic as the gyne was doing a few other procedures at the time All I will say is give it a chance give it 6 months and if you are not happy then just get it removed [/color:icjf1593]
sabride Posts: 250
Edited for duplication....
sabride Posts: 250
I've had it 3 years, no kids and if it keeps working the way it is, I won't either!! Perfect - no pain, no periods, no forgetting to take the pill, I highly recommend it. Was recommended by friend who also has no kids and she raves about it also. Well wear...if you say stuff like that about contraception! Oh and getting it put in is just like a smear test - a little unpleasant, but quick. Cramps for about a day, so have duvet and hot water bottle ready on the couch and curl up and watch girly movies for the afternoon.