Mirena - The Facts

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrs bmw Posts: 6447
Hi all Cany anybody who is on this please give me an insight in to what its like? Does it hurt getting fitted for it? How long does it take to settle? How do you know if its not working apart from checking for the strings? Do you periods really disapear? Can you feel it inside you when your making love? If you had been on the pill for 10 (mercilon) years and then changed over to this without interruption would there be less chance of it taking longer to settle? If you have good skin and normal hormones is there a chance that this could change? Does it affect your libido more than the pill? Any answers would be appreciated.
Mrs.slightly bonkers Posts: 3289
Can anybody who is on this please give me an insight in to what its like? Does it hurt getting fitted for it? nope un comfortable. How long does it take to settle? few days How do you know if its not working apart from checking for the strings?cant find the strings anymore. Do you periods really disapear? gone totally Can you feel it inside you when your making love? for the first few times you have sex.they soften after a while.also if yoy/he can feel the stings the doc can cut them shorter. If you had been on the pill for 10 (mercilon) years and then changed over to this without interruption would there be less chance of it taking longer to settle? not sure.i got pregnant on the pill twice(my own fault). If you have good skin and normal hormones is there a chance that this could change? never had any prob with skin with or without this. Does it affect your libido more than the pill,l ost my sex drive after any kind of birth control. I have 4 kids got the merina after my last baby.i have only had one problem with it and its if i lift something i bleed(please dont tell me why this happens)I have now had it 3 years and never had a check up :ooh ..It was uncomfortable to get in but not even nearly as bad as labour.I have a retro womb(tilts back)so this made it more uncomfortable all in all worth getting done. edit cause of very bad explanation.
hey bonkers thanks for that, whats it like not having a period. I know this sounds crazy and I know the period you have each month on the pill is a fake one but its nice to know that you body is working if you get what I mean? I mean yeah it must be great but does it not feel weird, and sorry to be nosey but how often do you need to check for the strings, it says that it can be expelled without you noticing it, would this mean you would need to check it every day? I have printed out loads of stuff from the net about it but the only way to get the real facts is speaking to people that have it. I tend to look at the side affects and go no thanks, just need to know if they really all happy!
Mrs crilly Sorry for copying and pasteing your query. thanks for that, whats it like not having a period. I know this sounds crazy and I know the period you have each month on the pill is a fake one but its nice to know that you body is working if you get what I mean? I do and i reckon i have been in bad form since i started using any kind of birth control but with 4 kids you have to try something.But the mirena suits me a bit better i dont know why maybe lack of getting preg again (love me kids to bits but you have to stop somewhere). I mean yeah it must be great but does it not feel weird, and sorry to be nosey but how often do you need to check for the strings, it says that it can be expelled without you noticing it, would this mean you would need to check it every day? As i mention i/we :-8 have not felt them in a long time.i get pregnant when the wind blows only have to look at himself it seems :-8 . I have printed out loads of stuff from the net about it but the only way to get the real facts is speaking to people that have it. I tend to look at the side affects and go no thanks, just need to know if they really all happy! I am happy with it,it does what its supposed to do and i have had no episods where i had to ever think its not working.
ah don't worry about the copy and pasting! The only thing I can't get around my head is, how a pregnancy can occur even if you can feel the strings? I know that most pregnancies that occur with the mirena are ectopic but, what happens if it turns out that you got to be say 4/5 mths pregnant without noticing (due to no periods). Then you would have to get the Mirena taken out but at that stage its too late in the pregnancy to terminate you would have no choice to continue with it. Damn why do you always come up the the good questions after you leave the poxy surgery!
This is the reason why im getting me tubes tied. In going for the clips that can be removed if you did want to reverse things. Hubby asked to for vesectomy they said he was too young(33 with 4 kids already). I have noticed your posts before if i wear you id go with my option.
Well thats where I was this morning, had apt in The Rotunda about getting the tubes done but I was told no in a very nice way. Basically im 26 in November, do not have any biological children but a 7 yr old step daughter and am 100% sure that I am happy and content to live a childfree life and have felt now was the right time to start the proceedings, have felt this way all my life but my age has always been the issue. The doc was lovely and advised me to try the Mirena for 5 years and then come back to them, he really took the time to listen to myself & h2b thoughts and questions and didn't brush me off, a lot nicer than my female doctor when I asked her for a referral letter, she was so rude I have since changed gps within the practice. H2b not really content with undergoing the snip and I am fine with that, not going to make somebody do something they are unsure of and might regret in the future even though he does not want anymore kids. Its a man thing and he is entitled to feel that way.
AmericanGirl Posts: 5
Hi there- Had my mirena fitted 1 month ago, and thought I'd give my insight. Does it hurt getting fitted for it? TBH, yes. Although I'm 25 and have never had any children which is the reason my docter gave for the discomfort. For me, it felt like extreme period cramps...and I generally have a very high tolerance for pain. How long does it take to settle? The first day I was a bit nervous about load of walking or excerciese, but found that when I woke up the next day I felt totally normal. I did have slight cramping (nothing like insertion cramping) for the first 3 days. How do you know if its not working apart from checking for the strings? I've only checked the strings once. Honestly- I trust it. I've never worried about it. Do you periods really disapear? I've had spotting every day since insertion (30 days ago). It must be inserted while you are on your period. I'm now having heavier spotting then I was last week and I think this may be a "period", although the spotting isn't heavy enought to warrant a tampon or a pad (just using the light days pantyliners). My friend also has the Mirena and has had it for 2 years and boasts no periods/spotting at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that! Can you feel it inside you when your making love? I can't feel it. H2B says he can, in some positions. I'll be having the strings trimmed at my 6-week check-up. If you had been on the pill for 10 (mercilon) years and then changed over to this without interruption would there be less chance of it taking longer to settle? I had been on the pill/patch for 10 years before getting the mirena fitted, and have found no issues in settling whatsoever. If you have good skin and normal hormones is there a chance that this could change? I don't think so, but maybe. I had skin/hormone issues while on the pill which is one of the reasons I swtiched to mirena. Skin looks the best is has in years, and I feel much better hormonally also. Does it affect your libido more than the pill? Again, one of the reasons I switched, and no. My sex drive has increased dramatically. Hope this helps. Like I said, I've just had it inserted a month now, and have never had any children so my situation my be different from some other posters. I am hoping to TTC within the next 3 years though and was told that ovulation can begin as early as one month after removal, so it was a good option for me. I was just so sick of the pill, and was ready to try something different. PM me if you have any other questions- I'll be glad to help and reccommend my clinic![/b]
AmericanGirl Posts: 5
Hi there- Had my mirena fitted 1 month ago, and thought I'd give my insight. [b:356939sq]Does it hurt getting fitted for it? [/b:356939sq] TBH, yes. Although I'm 25 and have never had any children which is the reason my docter gave for the discomfort. For me, it felt like extreme period cramps...and I generally have a very high tolerance for pain. [b:356939sq]How long does it take to settle? [/b:356939sq] The first day I was a bit nervous about load of walking or excerciese, but found that when I woke up the next day I felt totally normal. I did have slight cramping (nothing like insertion cramping) for the first 3 days. [b:356939sq]How do you know if its not working apart from checking for the strings? [/b:356939sq] I've only checked the strings once. Honestly- I trust it. I've never worried about it. [b:356939sq]Do you periods really disapear? [/b:356939sq] I've had spotting every day since insertion (30 days ago). It must be inserted while you are on your period. I'm now having heavier spotting then I was last week and I think this may be a "period", although the spotting isn't heavy enought to warrant a tampon or a pad (just using the light days pantyliners). My friend also has the Mirena and has had it for 2 years and boasts no periods/spotting at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that! [b:356939sq]Can you feel it inside you when your making love? [/b:356939sq] I can't feel it. H2B says he can, in some positions. I'll be having the strings trimmed at my 6-week check-up. [b:356939sq]If you had been on the pill for 10 (mercilon) years and then changed over to this without interruption would there be less chance of it taking longer to settle?[/b:356939sq] I had been on the pill/patch for 10 years before getting the mirena fitted, and have found no issues in settling whatsoever. [b:356939sq]If you have good skin and normal hormones is there a chance that this could change? [/b:356939sq] I don't think so, but maybe. I had skin/hormone issues while on the pill which is one of the reasons I swtiched to mirena. Skin looks the best is has in years, and I feel much better hormonally also. [b:356939sq]Does it affect your libido more than the pill? [/b:356939sq] Again, one of the reasons I switched, and no. My sex drive has increased dramatically. Hope this helps. Like I said, I've just had it inserted a month now, and have never had any children so my situation my be different from some other posters. I am hoping to TTC within the next 3 years though and was told that ovulation can begin as early as one month after removal, so it was a good option for me. I was just so sick of the pill, and was ready to try something different. PM me if you have any other questions- I'll be glad to help and reccommend my clinic!
sandy13 Posts: 939
[quote="mrs crilly":2izg4jhw]Hi all Cany anybody who is on this please give me an insight in to what its like? Does it hurt getting fitted for it? How long does it take to settle? How do you know if its not working apart from checking for the strings? Do you periods really disapear? Can you feel it inside you when your making love? If you had been on the pill for 10 (mercilon) years and then changed over to this without interruption would there be less chance of it taking longer to settle? If you have good skin and normal hormones is there a chance that this could change? Does it affect your libido more than the pill? Any answers would be appreciated.[/quote:2izg4jhw] HI there, im on my second one on on year 3 of that i find it brill, heres some of mu answers to your questions. 1 its does hurt a little (as far a i know the longer you weight after giving birth the harder it is to get in) 2 as far as i can remember it settles almost stright away you will just be a little sore/week for a day or 2 3 you dont really you just have to trust it but there almost certin to be 100% safe, but the odd person gets caught, i never check for mine even tho i should 4 i havent got my periods since i got my first one in saying that i blead when i got it out after 5 years only untill i got it back in so yes they do go complety but i dont know if this is the case for everyone 5 i thing for the first few times you make love you partner will feel it but after a while he wont 6 i dont know about that wasnt on the pill for that long 7 my skin never changed either did my hormones ( at least i dont think they did im on it that long now i cant remember) 8 dont know the answer to that either. I wouldnt use anyting else i will get out next year to have another baby but i will get it back in again untill im ready for anohter at least this way i know i wont get caught untill im ready hope this helps sandy