Missed Miscarriage at 18 weeks

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

D-DayIs2016 Posts: 45
Hi everyone I am totally heartbroken. My GP tried to find heartbeat on Doppler but couldn't find it so was sent for an emergency scan. During this scan the nurse had difficulty finding the heartbeat because the baby was lying with its hands and legs up over their chest. But then she thought she seen a heartbeat and showed us on the screen and we could see the normal flicker of a wee heart but she said she is 100% sure it was heartbeat so went to get senior doctor. He did scan and said they no heartbeat and baby measuring around 16weeks. But the scan picture was not once a clear picture and I couldn't make out baby compared to earlier scans I could see baby shape. I was told to come back Wednesday to do another scan and to also start early labour. I still holding on to the tiny bit of hope that the baby ok, like what was that flickering on the screen? Did anyone else every experience this that they couldn't find heartbeat and it was a false alarm?
ZoeP Posts: 89
I don't have any experience of this but just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and saying a prayer that it will be ok. X
goodietwoshoes Posts: 167
You poor thing, what a torment. I've no experience either. Would you see if you can book a private scan elsewhere over the next few days? Even get in tomorrow? Will be thinking of you; hope all goes ok x
My private scan is only open in the morning and it is my child birthday today and I am having the party tomorrow morning. I think I would go otherwise but maybe I am trying to hold on to nothing. I just don't understand why there wasn't a clear picture of the baby on the scan compared to other scans. I couldn't once make out a baby it was really blurry and lines. Maybe hospitals don't ever get it wrong and I want them to be. I I cant believe this is happening
pinkerbelle10 Posts: 705
I am so very sorry that you are going through this. To be honest I really would try and get a scan at another facility too as what you describe from scan being blurry etc would make me feel a bit nervous that maybe the scan machine was not good quality and maybe just maybe they are not detecting heartbeat because of the position of the baby. On my last baby at 11 weeks doctor couldn't find heartbeat with Doppler. He spent 20 mins and no luck. So was sent for an ultrasound and after a while they picked up heartbeat. I will pray floor you that they are wrong xxxx
Thank you all for your comments. I am absolutely heartbroken and the tears keep flowing. This is the most horrible feeling. I felt at start of week something isn't right but saying that I didn't feel pregnant at all this time but think it down to not having a bump. I am still sick which I had all the pregnancy. It so hard to accept when I am having no signs like a bleed or cramping. But I know these are normal of a missed miscarriage. I want to go to a private scan and then another part of me doesn't as I don't want to have it definitely confirmed, I want there to be tiny bit of hope. So maybe deep down I already know the answer but don't want to accept. I just think how can a scanner in a hospital be wrong, they tried 2 different machines, but the nurse did say the baby is lying with its arms and legs across chest. But the pictures on both machines were so blurry that not once did I see a baby shape. This is so hard
ginger power Posts: 1632
I just came on to say I'm thinking of you and say a little prayer that it will all be ok, I had a MC at 11 weeks and was devastated, I would go for private scan cos all this worrying can't be helping you x fingers crossed hospital made a mistake which can happen esp if nurse saying hands over chest. But to put ur mind at rest hun get the scan x
goingforit Posts: 160
No advice for you but thinking of you and really hoping that you will have a good outcome. It must be terrible hard for you. :action32
goingforit Posts: 160
No advice for you but thinking of you and really hoping that you will have a good outcome. It must be terrible hard for you. :action32 I would try to get a scan so you know one way or the other.
lellikelly Posts: 891
Thinking of you D-DaysIs2016, hope your doing ok xx :action32