Menu

MOMZILLA!! - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sweet8 Posts: 1285
[quote="FlexyDee":3f06lc96]I'm sorry to sound harsh but you are a fool for letting her do this. It is your wedding and not HERS! Put your foot down![/quote:3f06lc96] +1 You want to be surrounded by dear friends on your wedding day, not pals of your Mum. Definitely stand up to her otherwise she may run rings around you in other areas of the wedding.
Sprocket Posts: 1671
If she's saying that she's paying for the people so she doesn't see the issue, maybe she hasn't realised about space limitations. Maybe point that out to her and see if it helps?
Nobigdress Posts: 452
120...120!!! I feel really mad at her myself! Tell her that she can have 10 friends and whatever direct family there is and thats the end of it!
me julie Posts: 368
I honestly feel for you I do. Ihave the same prob but its with my mil demanding this and that. At the end of the day the people at your wedding should only be people who care about you not all your mams friends explain to her that you feel this is a bit much and you dont want to be feeling awkward on your wedding day with people you dont know. She is your mam and she wont want you upset so talk to her honestly. :action31
islandlil Posts: 1059
That's insane. You and your OH HAVE to put the foot down and say no- Don't let her ruin your wedding-you'll resent it for the rest of your life. Simply say she can bring x amount AND THAT IS IT! Your OH needs to back you on this. Don't sacrifice your friends and your nice invites for her. I know you hate confrontation but this is madness. Am totally shocked :eek
Roxanne Posts: 3201
If the invitations haven't been sent, it's not too late - give the money back. Nothing is worth that. It is YOUR wedding, not hers, and the idea that she should have 120 guests when you have to cut your list back, is utter madness. I really think you will regret this. Give the money back and tell her you will be doing it your way from now on. It's the only way to regain control of your wedding. YOUR wedding.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
Fredsmom you have to be firm! When you say she won't budge, what can she actually do about it? You're sending the invites so send them to the people you want to invite, end of story. If she brings it up tell her you talked about it and you decided on your list and that's it, she'll only get away with this if you let her.
Happy Mammie Posts: 1507
Im so shocked 120 people. thats how many were at my wedding. You really have to put your foot down on this. and its not your fault your mam has invited people she is the one that will have to invite them or invite to the afters. Im sorry your mam is being like this. after all it is your day she has had her day when she got married.
paperclips Posts: 3146
Threaten to call off the whole wedding unless she cops on! Her demands are outrageous. As others have said, 10 couples sounds very reasonable. Its not her wedding day. I think you made the mistake of accepting her offer to pay for those she wants to invite and now she is out of control. Whenever I say no to my mother and she just cant accept it, I get DH to say it and she always backs down. She loves DH and would never attempt to walk all over him the way she does with me!!!
Roxanne Posts: 3201
[quote="paperclips":kr8fwzij]Threaten to call off the whole wedding unless she cops on!![/quote:kr8fwzij] + 1 on this. Tell her you've had enough and that you've decided to elope. And that you'll be telling everyone why. Okay, easier said than done, I know how hard it can be to stand up to The Mammy after years of trying to please her. But could you get your DH to say this to her maybe? She needs to be given a fright.