Money for Priest?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Dr of love Posts: 425
Hi everyone, does anyone know how much we are expected to give the Priest for being at our wedding? He is not our Priest but is coming to my COI church to officiate with the Reverend (a family friend). We hadn't met him before but he is kindly adding the Catholic side to the service for my H2B. How much should we give him on the day? And is it usual to just give it to him in an envelope? We are also inviting him to the reception. Thanks!
Shorti3 Posts: 404
my friend just told me they had to give 200e to the church in trim to have their local priest come and do their wedding and that was just for the church i nearly dropped dead thats madness then they had to pay the priest also and feed him are them days not gone???? id be interest to see how much people are givin the priests.
blue16 Posts: 201
I had been given a guideline of €200 also.
deno Posts: 73
yep I've heard 200 euro also for the priest... that's what I'm giving anyway- and he coming to our meal also, as it is an hour from where he lives, we offered to sort accomodation for him also (my parents are quite friendly with him) but he declined :compress and we had to give the church 400euro because it wasn't our own parish!!!
elainewh Posts: 5
I hadn't thought about that, so was not in the budget. I always thought it was a community service they were performing and don't mind a donation to the church - but to the priest aswell?! Is it written anywhere that two payments are required or are we just being Irish about it??
frankenbride Posts: 419
I was just looking up info on having a church blessing but came across a section on suggested donations and the formula they gave is half of the couples daily wage as in if a couple makes 200 per day between them the donation to the priest (not the fee for the church) is 100
julibride12 Posts: 28
[quote="Shorti3":3nnsg0pf]my friend just told me they had to give 200e to the church in trim to have their local priest come and do their wedding and that was just for the church i nearly dropped dead thats madness then they had to pay the priest also and feed him are them days not gone???? id be interest to see how much people are givin the priests.[/quote:3nnsg0pf] I don't understand the issue here, the priest is providing a service on the day and of course he should be paid, same as the photographer,florist and the Videographer. As for the church,if you hire a venue for any kind of a function there is a fee so why should the church be any different.
LittleLily Posts: 3682
[quote="julibride12":kh2e0g6g][quote="Shorti3":kh2e0g6g]my friend just told me they had to give 200e to the church in trim to have their local priest come and do their wedding and that was just for the church i nearly dropped dead thats madness then they had to pay the priest also and feed him are them days not gone???? id be interest to see how much people are givin the priests.[/quote:kh2e0g6g] I don't understand the issue here, the priest is providing a service on the day and of course he should be paid, same as the photographer,florist and the Videographer. As for the church,if you hire a venue for any kind of a function there is a fee so why should the church be any different.[/quote:kh2e0g6g] +1 I think its only fair to give a donation for the important part they play in your day. e200 in the scheme of what everything else for the day is costing is small change really. I also don't think its too much to ask the person that actually married you to come celebrate with you afterwards. We gave e150 to the priest.
Future Mrs B Posts: 29
[quote="julibride12":18l3ngxl]I don't understand the issue here, the priest is providing a service on the day and of course he should be paid, same as the photographer,florist and the Videographer. As for the church,if you hire a venue for any kind of a function there is a fee so why should the church be any different.[/quote:18l3ngxl] I agree with julibride12 - the priest at our marraige course suggested considering what you're paying for your flowers, music and transport and then paying the priest something similar. When you think about it a church singer charges about 250-300 euro and they provide a service for the same length of time as the priest but the priest has a much more important role! Personally we're planning to give €250 to the priest and then €50 to the sacristern.
deno Posts: 73
yeh good point future Mrs B.. he is doing the most important job on the day!! It's so easy to lose sight of it!.. I've no problem with giving the priest a thank you and donating to the church also.. Just scary how costs creep in from everywhere!! :eek