money money worries

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

co kerry Posts: 153
i thought i would be able to put my mortgage on hold for 3 months but the boi just came back this morning to say no i cant and i can just pay interest for 6 months i am in complete mess now as my husband is not working and it was a complete strain as it is . i thought the banks are ment to help people . i feel like crying i cant sleep as it is but this has just made a bad situation worse. O:|
shellbellxxx Posts: 133
oh hun, could you give mabs a call and see what they advise?
shellbellxxx Posts: 133
oh hun, could you give mabs a call and see what they advise?
Piggle Posts: 1770
If that goes to court hun it won't stand up, the banks are meant to give you six months and then they are meant to come to some sort of arrangment for the rest, once you are showing that you want to sort it out!! Do get on to mabs though just so you can have it logged!! BOI is the worst i hear by all means!!! Best of luck with it, Its not easy x
Hugz Posts: 410
You should google your rights with regard to the new agreement the top ten lenders have come to with the goverments ie they will give people up to 1 year to get on their feet if in bad position. I am sure there are some criteria. But if your husband is out of work and you are about to have a baby and no money I am pretty damn sure you should quality for this break. Go in and demand to speak to manager and put it to him that they are not abiding by new rules. State your case and that you fully intend to the matter to citizens advice/solicitors/papers etc ... make a show ! ... he/she wont be long putting a face to the problem!
Giant Underpants Posts: 953
Thats really scandalous hun. Going interest only isnt that big a deal, especially given the fact that its only a small reduction in your payments and the bank still gets the interest which is their profit! I wouldnt accept their first answer. AIB refused us an overdraft recently, so I rang my bank manager to know why. She couldnt give me any good reason why we had been refused (we have a mortgage for god sake, if they trust us with a few hundred thousand, surely we can be trusted with a few hundred. She resubmitted the form for us and we got approved second time around instead. There was no reason for the first refusal we just got some idiot dealing with our form. Go back to the branch and ask to speak to the bank manager.
co kerry Posts: 153
THANKS GIRLS I AM JUST WORRIED SICK , MY IRON HAS GONE VERY LOW I AM TIERED AND CANT SLEEP WITH WORRY. MY DOCTOR WANTS TO SIGN ME OF BUTUNTIL I KNOW WHERE I STAND WITH BOI I CANT DO A THING .
blondiechick Posts: 1641
Oh Co.Kerry that's awful. I have a letter written to my bank asking for a 6 month break in our mortgage...fingers crossed we'll get it as we just can't pay at the moment. I was watching Ireland AM yesterday morning and the advice being given was to max your credit cards first etc. before defaulting on mortgage. Good luck
Giant Underpants Posts: 953
[quote="Blondie_Chick":16prili4] I was watching Ireland AM yesterday morning and the advice being given was to max your credit cards first etc. before defaulting on mortgage. Good luck[/quote:16prili4] Are you sure thats [i:16prili4]exactly[/i:16prili4] what they said? That sounds like kind of reckless advice to me. I would try again (and again) to renegotiate your mortgage payments to a lower amount first before either maxing out credit cards at 18% interest (that you wont be able to pay off if you are already struggling and which will only add to your stress - and ruin your credit rating for the future) or defaulting on payments.
LoveyDovey Posts: 71
If you are signed off work sick and your husband is unemployed you could apply to the HSE Community Welfare Officer for Mortgage Interest Relief which if your approved means that the Allowance would pay the interest on your mortgage for I think up to 12 months, check it out further as I'm not sure of all the details but it maybe something that would help your situation.