monitor reccommendations

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lucyloo32 Posts: 957
so many monitors out there, and being a new mammy to-be i just havnt a clue. My brother has very generously offered to purchase one for xmas and said to let him know which one..... so over to you... ... which monitor would you reccommend??? (we have a two story house with concrete floors... if that makes any difference to signals)
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
we have the angelcare monitor which has a sensor mat that detects if the baby stop breathing. i have friends who never used the mat as in the early days they'd forget to turn it off when they picked the baby up and the alarm would go off so they just stopped using it but i wouldn't have been without it for the first year, gives such peace of mind. we got a BT100 for my parents house which is much better in terms of sound quality so if you don't think you'll use a sensor mat i'd recommend this one. they all have temperature displays, some play music etc but all of those are fairly useless in my opinion.
dancerformoney Posts: 2733
we live in an apartment and are getting a BT200. i have a thermometer, dont want a mat and dont want a video display. i just want something that will tell me the baby is awake. a monitor wont stop me going into the room anyway to check on baby. i think it depends on what you want: a sensor mat a thermometer a pacifier (bring able to talk to baby/toddler from where you are) play music show light show there are so many things that they come with these days. i find the reviews on Amazon quite good. alot of ppl get the Angelcare one, Tomme Tippee also do a sensor mat one. have a look at whats out there, what you are looking for and then check reviews on the one you want. i found that the best way!
3for2013 Posts: 145
Firstly congrats on being pregnant!!! Exciting times. We got the Angel monitor for our little one - Have to say I LOVE It!!! We put babs into her own room at 6 weeks to encourage good sleep routine and be lost without it - the matt ensures that god forbid babs stopped breathing you would know in an instant!! Also find it very sensitive to sounds in the room so always knew when the babs was awake/crying. Stll use it now and she is 17 months - only problem is that if granny & grandad are babysitting in their house it is a bit tedious to take off the cot and set u another house but all in all big thumbs up here!!! Just got a BFP for babs number 2 so it will defo be getting a second baby using it - i wouldnt change it. However as a previous poster said there are so many out there now - really down to personal choice. U can great ceiling projectors/crib music players etc so i wouldn't worry about having them included in your monitor. U want to know that 1. babs is sleeping soundly and 2. that you will know if they awake, need you etc :wv
Gembira Posts: 847
We've got the BT150 which is fantastic, the sound quality is amazing. It has a thermometer, plays nursery rhymes, has a nightlight and a two way speak thing so we can talk to our dd if she's giving out. If you don't need the thermometer and digital display then the BT100 is also excellent. We used it when we stayed with my aunt and it was just as good as the 150. My DD doesn't really cry out much but this is so sensitive I can even hear her breathing and fiddling with her blankets so I always know when she's awake! In general the BT monitors are excellent and they have a fantastic write up on Amazon. I didn't want a video monitor or sensor mat. I felt that the sensor mat would increase my anxiety rather than ease it! And I was put off video monitors because of my friend's experience. (Her neighbour was able to watch my friend's ds on her monitor next door - made me think who else could pick it up! :eek )
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
We have the motorola video monitor and it is fab. Really can not recommend getting a video monitor highly enough. It is great to be able to actually see DS without have to go into him. DS is a devil for moving and whimpering a bit in his sleep and with the video monitor I can check he is ok without having to go in and turn on the light and potentially disturb/ wake him fully. Also when he goes quiet it is great to able to make sure he has gone back to sleep again without having to go into him (as sometimes he is still awake and just playing with his toys). Ours has the 2 way speaker and this was good when DS was a baby as sometimes when he whimpered a bit I would talk to him through the monitor and he would settle straight away.
blueboots Posts: 833
[quote="ghostchild2":xye3pfkj]We have the motorola video monitor and it is fab. Really can not recommend getting a video monitor highly enough. It is great to be able to actually see DS without have to go into him. DS is a devil for moving and whimpering a bit in his sleep and with the video monitor I can check he is ok without having to go in and turn on the light and potentially disturb/ wake him fully. Also when he goes quiet it is great to able to make sure he has gone back to sleep again without having to go into him (as sometimes he is still awake and just playing with his toys). Ours has the 2 way speaker and this was good when DS was a baby as sometimes when he whimpered a bit I would talk to him through the monitor and he would settle straight away.[/quote:xye3pfkj] +1 on everything ghostchild said about the video monitor. We have the Tomy one and its great.
lucyloo32 Posts: 957
thanks so much for all your responses. I was looking at BT250 yesterday and that seems quite good. not sure id be up for the mat- im nervous enough without having to deal with that thing beeping. Id rather put the money into a good first aid course for bubs instead.
Diddums2 Posts: 106
We are on our third video monitor (our fault, not the monitors !) and this is our latest: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/part ... INFANT.htm It is pricy but it is fantastic, as close to perfect as we've found. We have concrete floors and walls also and have no reception issues. You can also turn off the video so it is sound only (which is good during the night - once baby moves to its own room - as the glow off our previous one was so bright it would keep you awake !). We have also added another camera so we can use it for both DS and new baby due shortly.
fifteensept Posts: 565
+2 on video monitor they r the best don't know what I would fo without mine can watch everything the dd gets up too as she can bs a little monkey in the cot. I've the summer one.