More Kindle Questions - Apologies

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mitten31 Posts: 150
Hi All, I know there have been loads of questions on here recently about Kindles, but i have a few that i hope peeps can help me with! I got a Kindle 3g with keypad for my birthday O-O O-O . What are the advantages of the keypad and 3g, i have wifi at home? Also, obviously i know books can be downloaded and paid for via Amazon but is there anyother way to get books? Is it possible to download from other sites and transfer on to the kindle without going through Amazon? I have heard mention of sites you can subscribe to, pay a monthly fee and access books this way. I presume like the rapid share type sites for music/movies, anyone any knowledge of this? Thanks ladies!
Dreamscapes Posts: 27
[quote="Mitten31":pw1curar] What are the advantages of the keypad and 3g, i have wifi at home? [/quote:pw1curar] The main advantage of the keyboard is if you want to take notes and save them in parts of the book. You can also use it to Search a book for a particular word or phrase and you can use it to look up words in the inbuild dictionary. 3g just means you can buy and download books while not in a WiFi zone. For example: You could buy and download a book while on holidays (provided the service was available in the country you were in). [quote="Mitten31":pw1curar]Also, obviously i know books can be downloaded and paid for via Amazon but is there anyother way to get books? Is it possible to download from other sites and transfer on to the kindle without going through Amazon? I have heard mention of sites you can subscribe to, pay a monthly fee and access books this way. I presume like the rapid share type sites for music/movies, anyone any knowledge of this?[/quote:pw1curar] Kindle, like most other downloadable books have build in DRM or copy protection. This means you cannot copy the book from one device to another except by the means allowed for by the supplier. Kindle allow you to download the books to your PC or straight to your device, but they control that tightly. Other sites have similar restrictions and you cannot download copy protected books from another site to a Kindle. That said, if the book is not copy protected and in PDF format (most sites will give you the option to choose a format), you can load it onto your Kindle. But in reality, for books, you're pretty much tied in the Kindle store. HTH Martin