More sad news - advice needed

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sphynx Posts: 6795
Girls our friends had a stillborn baby the other day. :o( It was their first. They are devastated. No-one knew anything was wrong until the baby was born. We are all in shock - I never think of things like that still happening today. I really don't know what to say to them. Is a mass card appropriate in this situation? Or flowers? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks girls.
Angel2 Posts: 787
Oh pet, that's absolutely awful. The poor couple must be devastated. I would think that it would be ok to send them flowers with a little note expressing how sorry yourself & your husband are for them. It'll be a very tough time for them over the next few months but I'm sure that they'd appreciate the thought from you & your DH. Just so they know ye are thinking of them at this time.
sinion Posts: 6050
that's awful :o( I think a 'thinking of you' card might be appropriate, I can't even begin to imagine they pain they are in right now
Elliecat Posts: 2725
I know, its awful it happened to a girl I know last year. I think a thinking of you card is probably best.
Port Princess Posts: 1154
oh dats tragic my prayers and thoughts are with your friends!!
jen2 Posts: 3106
babdies / children dont get mass cards. They are pure of heart and free of sin. Thinking of your card would be nice. Bless the little angel, and hope the parents find some peace and comfort in the future. Jen2
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
Sphynx I am sorry to hear that news. It's so sad but it does still happen. A guy I work with it happened to them, the day before they were going in to be induced. A very close friend of mine it happened to, to. It's so hard to know what to do for the best. This is what I did. I texted her initally when I heard the news telling her how sorry I was for them and I would say a prayer for the baby. I told her I was here when she needed me and was thinking of her. I got a mass card for them and posted it. The mass card is called mass for the angels. Or bouquet for an angel. Something like that. They are specific for families that loose a child. I sent the card. I kept in contact through text (she wasn't ready to talk) for a over a week and then after the funeral (they kept it private) she texted saying I could call over and that is what i did. It was the hardest thing to do but I couldn't be selfish. I cried with my friend and we still talk about it. I got her a frame for a picture she put in of the baby. All I can say Sphynx is be there for your friend let her know you are thinking of her and give her the time she needs. She will let you know in her own way when she is ready to talk to you. HTH
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Thanks girls you are all great. I didn't realize that there was a special type of mass card for babies. Good to know. I will see if I can get one of those or a nice thinking of you card today. It is hard to get the balance right between letting them know we're thinking of them and giving them space. Text is perfect for that I suppose. Thanks again girls and sorry for bringing more bad news to the forum. At least we have had so much good news this week to balance things out.
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Ohhh Sphynx that's terrible, I'm like you I thought that didn't happen anymore either. The poor poor parents, they must be devastated. I don't know what would be appropriate really, maybe you could check with their relatives what they think? Like sisters/brothers. :xxx
luigi Posts: 867
Thats so devastating. Unfortunately it happened a friend too. I think everyone deal with this differently, but my friend appreciated texts , although she didnt deal with them at the time, she apprecited them later. Also she (although we are a year down the line now) likes people to still remember her little girl and talk about her, unfortunately a lot of people cant really deal with this, but I know she likes it when we talk about her baby. It wasn't easy for her that I was pregnant so although I didnt avoid contact with her as such but I didnt visit very often- it was more phonecalls and texts, I dont know how she felt; I never mentioned my pregnancy much, but I assumed the bump wouldnt have been easy for her :(