Morning Sickness

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
Hey everyone!! did anyone have REALLY bad morning sickness - so bad that you cant even hold water down? Ive been vomiting since the middle of the night - there cant be anything left in my stomach!! Was at doctor this morning and he said its normal enough?? told me complete bed rest - but hadnt really any advice for foods that will stay down? also did it subside after a few weeks or did it last late into you pregnancy - obviously delighted that were pregnant and if it is to last the whole time so be it once we have a healthy baby at the end of it all!!
2to3 Posts: 182
Dublin bride I feel your pain - I am plagued with MS which lasts all day - have days where I can keep down about one of my meals and days where I dont vomit at all (mostly saturday). Its awful and hard to cope with at work especially - I had to tell the girls i work directly with as it was too difficult to cover up ! you will need to watch it if you cant keep down even water though as you will need to go on a drip to rehydrate - keep in contact with your doc if nothing at all will stay down. You will know generally by your reaction even to the thought of some foods that they will be out or not - I am living on toast and crackers at the moment - cant really eat meals - bananas are good too. only up side is that i have lost weight !!!
chicam Posts: 1169
Hi Dublin-Bride, I ended up being diagnosed with hyperemesis (severe pregnancy sickness) at around 12 weeks because the horrendous "morning" sickness I was having hadn't gone away. So before this I just thought I was really sick and like you, found my GP hadn't really anything to offer other than "oh it'll pass at 12 weeks" (which it didn't for me but normal sickness usually does). Anyway I could hardly hold down water either so found that sipping lucosade sport (not the fizzy stuff) helped because it also replaced any salts I was losing through puking so much. Nibble on digestive biscuits and don't worry about harming the baby through not eating - babies are parasites fundamentally and can get nutrients from your fat stores while you're not eating. Get some vitamins like Sanatogen Pro Natal (easy on the tum) as at least you know if you're not eating you're getting the vits. Do a search on morning sickness on this forum too, I know its been posted about a lot so you might get some more advice. Hang on in there, I know it's horrendous and most of the time I just wanted to die and hated being pregnant (bearing in mind I was that sick til 24 wks!!) but it does pass and you can enjoy being pregnant then! O-O
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
thanks a million girls!! *) had to tell work straight away today because i couldnt stop vomiting this morning and had to go to docs! my manager is a woman and is delighted for me anyway!!
Lilac Gerber Posts: 179
[color=indigo:2ntnwy5m]I was lucky enough to only have a bit of sickness but I didn't want to not reply when U have such a positive attitude towards it. I'm sure U've heard all the advice about having a cracker or slice of toast before U get up in the morning? For some reason I found almonds before I went to bed helped but I don't know how practical that would be for U when U're having bother even with water. Checked one of the books to see if there were more hints. It recommends: *Eat a diet high in protein and complex carbohydrates *If u find fluids make u queasy eat solids with a high water content(eg lettuce, melon and citrus fruits) *Avoid sight, smell or taste of foods that make U queasy *Avoid tobacco smoke *Eat often and before U feel hungry. Nausea can be triggered by low sugar levels *Have a snack that is high in protein and complex carbs before u go to sleep.They recommend a bran muffin and a glass of milk *Get extra sleep Some of them seem a bit obvious or unrealistic if Ur feeling sick all the time but I figured I'd put them down and let u take whats helpful to U. Needless to say I hope Ur feeling better soon and have an otherwise healthy and happy pregnancy :thnk [/color:2ntnwy5m]