Morocco

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Tracyq Posts: 18
Has anyone been and if so would you recommend it ?? thinking of spending 3 weeks there in August .
BlushingB Posts: 1634
Been there and loved it. Agadir, Marrakesh and Essaouira. Agadir is new as the old one was destroyed in the 60s after an earthquake, but it has a nice beach, good restaurants and nightlife. Marrakesh is just amazing. Words can't describe the place. It's like something out of Ali Baba! Essaouria is beautiful. Right by the sea and a great place for picking up bargains on hand made wooden gifts and of course the famous persian rugs.
Hepburn Posts: 4081
I didn't go there on a sun holiday so I can't comment on whether it is a good destination for that sort of package. However, as a cultural/adventure/sightseeing destination it is amazing. As BB said, Marrakesh is overwhelming, a flurry of activity from dawn till dusk. However it is a place you either love or hate. Essaouira is adorable. By the sea,with an ecclectic mix of locals and aged travellers who never quite managed to leave. Lots of good music, food and art. However, my favourite part of the country was Fes, in particular the Medina. I have never experienced anything quite like it. It was like stepping back 2000 years. It is a great country. if you get a chance to do an overnight trip out into the Sahara do it. I could go on and on.... The people are lovely too. I would love to go back myself some day.
Hepburn Posts: 4081
Sorry...just noticed the "August" part of your post. Now this I can advise you on. We too visited in August. I am not going to lie to you, the heat was intense. It was pushing 50ยบ at times and we had to organise our days very much around the heat. We were on a group tour and had an air-conditioned bus as transport but I don't think I would have coped on public transport in that heat. When we arrived at a little town at the edge of the Sahara at 10pm one night after a long bus journey, it was still so hot I was genuinely petrified of how hot it would be the next day. For some people that was all part of it. My husband looked at it this way....he has experienced the Sahara at it's extreme. He soaked it up.