Mount Carmel experience??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

teens0509 Posts: 11
Hi , Congrats to everyone on their pregnancies. Has anyone had any experience of having their baby ay Mount Carmel private hospital? Just wanted some feedback, had my last child in Holles Street and went semi private, found them fine but as i live alot nearer to Mount Carmel i thought this time round may be better to go there semi private instead. Getting to ante natal classes etc and it isnt as busy as the other hospitals i believe? any experiences or thoughts?? :wv
Loislane21 Posts: 31
Hi Just bumping this up for you because I'm hoping to go there myself at some stage in the future :o0 Also if you try www.magicmum.com there is a lot more discussion about Mt C there Best of luck *)
*Muffin* Posts: 7243
I'm attending Mount Carmel for this baby, I had my first in Holles St, but that was so long ago things were very different then. I couldn't face going back to Holles St after my last m/c, I felt they were quite brutal about the whole thing. I decided to go to Mount Carmel and the difference was astounding. I just felt so protected and well looked after. When I got pregant again, there was no choice at all, I had to go to MC. I've been attending my consultant outside of the hospital, I just went into get my bloods, which took 5 mins, and I mentioned I was getting headaches, and was whipped up to the maternity ward, and they wouldn't allow me to leave until they were satisfied I was okay. Couldn't believe it. If you can afford Mount Carmel, then go for it!!!!
*Muffin* Posts: 7243
I'm attending Mount Carmel for this baby, I had my first in Holles St, but that was so long ago things were very different then. I couldn't face going back to Holles St after my last m/c, I felt they were quite brutal about the whole thing. I decided to go to Mount Carmel and the difference was astounding. I just felt so protected and well looked after. When I got pregant again, there was no choice at all, I had to go to MC. I've been attending my consultant outside of the hospital, I just went into get my bloods, which took 5 mins, and I mentioned I was getting headaches, and was whipped up to the maternity ward, and they wouldn't allow me to leave until they were satisfied I was okay. Couldn't believe it. If you can afford Mount Carmel, then go for it!!!!
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
I haven't been there myself but, like Muffin, my sister had two in Holles Street and one in Mount Carmel. There's a world of difference, from the care she got to her own wellbeing during and after labour. As a visitor, I made a decision there and then to go to MC if I got pregnant in the future. It's expensive, but I'll bet most brides on here spent about the same on a dress.
Maxi-Babe Posts: 327
Could not agree more with Muffin - my DS is nearly 6 months now and we went with Mount Carmel. The care we received was fantastic and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone. The nurses and quality of care are second to none. It's not cheap mind you, but I honestly felt it was worth every single penny. Not thinking of having number 2 for some time, but as soon as we do, we will be saving hard to go to Mt Carmel again, as I simply would not go anywhere else. They are the only maternity hospital who take the babies into a nursery at night - although it's not easy to be seperated from your baby - only when you get home will you realise what a fantastic help this is as it gives you much better opportunity to catch up on sleep. I was in for 5 nights with a c-section and I didn't really appreciate them taking DS, but when I got home I did, and I swore that if I ever went back I would be taking FULL advantage of that facility! So many people who came to visit us, said that the hospital was more like a hotel than a hospital - I had a private room, and at the end of the day I don't think that is a bad thing, considering what we go through with pregnancy and giving birth! If you have any other questions, please just let me know
novice1 Posts: 276
Is it ok to ask how much roughly would going to MC cost if you went private? You all mention that it is expensive but what is considered expensive? Thanks
Maxi-Babe Posts: 327
I had a c-section, which is cheaper believe it or not - apparently VHI covers more with a c-section as it is classed as surgery. So for a normal birth, I am not sure how much it would be, but if memory serves me correctly (I could be wrong as it is paid in installments and it is easy to lose track), I think all in all it cost us about €5-6k, this was with us going fully private (SO worth it) and with B options on VHI paying the remainder. However the amount you pay yourself is claimable against tax, so if you are on the higher rate of tax, you would get back 40% of this, at the end of the relevant tax years. So in the end, it may only cost a couple of grand.
dreamer Posts: 3941
I'll be going to Mount Carmel and while I havent actually set foot in the hospital yet as I am attending my consultant at her clinic, I am happy with my decision. Like Lois said alot of people spend more on their wedding or certain aspects of it than on having a baby! To me having a baby is more important and anybody I know who has attended Mount Carmal say that they left feeling good about themselves, as refreshed as possible under the circumstances and ready to look after their baby! To me, the mother having a excellent frame of mind when she comes out of the hospital is as important as everything else! If you have medical insurance it will cover some of your stay and the rest you can claim back on the Med 1 form so in reality its not the €10,000 that most people think!
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
[quote="dreamer":1gl34ayu]To me, the mother having a excellent frame of mind when she comes out of the hospital is as important as everything else[/quote:1gl34ayu] I think that's really important too. Every mum to be will say she just wants her baby healthy and happy and of course that's the No1 priority. But you need to be happy too! It's OK to think of yourself and have a good experience, whatever hospital you go to.