Mount Carmel Questions

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

wobbler Posts: 300
can someone please advise me on the cost of having a baby in Mount Carmel? does your Health Insurance pay for your stay in the hospital and you pay the consultant? also, do you have to have a consultant? Can you not go with just mid-wives?
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Your best bet is too ring your health insurance and ask what they cover
Topolino Posts: 1659
Do a search on this as there was a thread on Mount Carmel costs a while ago. I think it added up to between €5 and €8k depening on how long you stay in for. I don't remember exactly though.
I just did the search for you and this is what Noon said: Hi there, I called Mount Carmel last week to get an idea of costs. (see below) If you call them with your vhi details they will tell you how much is covered. We have vhi family plan plus this plan contributes €3250 to the overall cost. The figures below are gross and MC deduct your vhi contribution and you pay the rest. Give the accounts dept a call they were really helpful when i spoke to them. Hopefully this will work - the firs fig is for vhi/viva patients, second fig if you have no health insurance. MATERNITY PRICE LIST 2007 (Normal Delivery only) VHI and VIVAS Patients Non-VHI Patients One Night Package Price Private €3,766 €4,126 Semi-Private €3,541 €3,901 Two Night Package Price Private €4,316 €4,676 Semi-Private €3,941 €4,301 Three Night Package Price Private €4,866 €5,226 Semi-Private €4,341 €4,701 The above Packages Include: : Accommodation : Delivery Fee (use of Delivery Unit) : Fee towards Paediatrician and Anaesthetist On-Call Service : Baby Care : Epidural Apparatus : Pharmacy Charges : Physiotherapy Charges : Laboratory Tests The above Packages Exclude: : Imaging : Blood Products : Special Care Baby Unit. (Use of SCBU is an additional €200 per night). Charges for Fourth and Subsequent Nights Private Room (per night) €525 Semi Private Room (per night) €405 Baby Care €160 Special Care Baby Unit (per night) €360 PLEASE NOTE ALL PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE Note 1 Tax Relief is available on Routine Maternity Expenses. Note 2 A Maternity Benefit is available from most Insurers. Patients are advised to check their Benefit entitlement with their insurers before admission. Note 3 A Booking Deposit is required in all cases twelve weeks before expected delivery date. Note 4 For C-Section prices please contact the Accounts Department. Ph:4063420/21
oh my god, that is very expensive. you have to pay the consultant after that? i didnt realise it would be that expensive :ooh
What I think is shocking is the cost of the subsequent nights. If, God forbid, anything was wrong with your baby, you're looking at almost another grand per night. That's scandalous. [quote:3ic0bnag]Private Room (per night) €525 Special Care Baby Unit (per night) €360[/quote:3ic0bnag] I think if I was living in Dublin I wouldn't bother with Mount Carmel. I live in Italy and everything is free. I've had three scans already (I'm 20 weeks pregnant) and even have the mobile number of my gynaecologist, incase I need him. I doubt the doctors in Mount Carmel give out their mobiles! Is it true that if anything goes wrong in Mt. Carmel they rush you straight to The Coombe or is that just an urban legend?
the only reason i was thinking about mount carmel was because a friend of mine had items stolen from her bag while in one of the other Dublin maternity hospitals. i know it's a very trivial reason but its just been niggling at me ever since she told me.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
[quote="Topolino":1t49j90r] Is it true that if anything goes wrong in Mt. Carmel they rush you straight to The Coombe or is that just an urban legend?[/quote:1t49j90r] My GP told me when we were trying to decide what hospital we wanted to go to that he wouldn't recommend MC. He said that they have no resuscitation equipment for the baby. Not really sure what this means tbh, as they have a special care unit. I heard this years ago about MC but was told by somebody else that it had all been sorted now. Not sure if our GP is correct.
bananas Posts: 440
[quote:y1j5p0mb] Is it true that if anything goes wrong in Mt. Carmel they rush you straight to The Coombe or is that just an urban legend?[/quote:y1j5p0mb] No its off to holles street as its the NATIONAL MATERNITY HOSPITAL If god forbid there is something wrong MC dont have the equipment to deal with it
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
There's a lot of myths about Mount Carmel, some of the from doctors themselves. Mount Carmel can't deal with a birth before 32 weeks. But it does have the facilities to deal with post-natal mother and baby problems - it's the only maternity unit in Ireland attached to a hospital! If, God forbid, a baby has serious problems they'll be moved to Crumlin anyway, whether you're in Holles Street, the Rotunda, the Coombe or Mount Carmel. If you want to go to MC, go for it. Three of my friends have had their babies there and had nothing but good things to say about it. It's a touchy issue and tends to start the public V private debate, but if it's what you want, go for it.