Moving to Abu Dhabi??????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SookieStackhouse Posts: 3135
Well DH got offered a job today. Teaching in Abu Dhabi. We're a bit in shock about it really, haven't had time to get our heads around the idea yet. I'm hoping to meet a woman I know, tomorrow, who lived there so I can ask her some questions. So i'm just wondering if anyone here has lived or knows someone who lives there? Aaaargh I don't know where to even begin. :eek
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
Wow! That's great, I'm really delighted for you! Guess the interview went better than he feared so :o)ll I have a friend living in Dubai, but her husband works out of Abu Dhabi, if that's any use?
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
OMG! Well done to your hubby!!
Mari yay Posts: 4045
Fantastic news!!
Thanks everyone. Not sure of anything yet. Have to talk to them tomorrow to get more info re DS' schooling and renting. Will know more then I guess. They want a quick decision so we're not sure we can make one so quickly.
Littlebo Posts: 2598
Had a feeling he was going to get the job, so well done to your Oh. How fast do they want a decision? I would move in the morning but my OH wouldn't but that's because of they way our life is ( we have no kids etc). It takes time for this to settle into your head and of course you would need time to talk it through etc. Wish I could be of more help but I have never been to Abu Dhabi, my Oh has a friend who is a teacher there and he has renewed his contract for another year. He is there with his wife and 2 year old little boy and they love it. The Wife is very outgoing and I have not spoken to her since they left but by all accounts they are enjoying it.
candypants Posts: 8575
Hey how did you get on today? Does your DH work here? Or unemployed?
Candypants, We emailed today asking for more info, so just waiting on that. He's out of work here :o( The worries we have at the moment is that the rent and tuition allowance won't actually cover the costs of both. Then we'd end up paying more out of the basic wage..... and lots of landlords want 12 months rent up front, which would be impossible. Rents out there seem to start at €30,000 for the year for a villa. Also we'd have to furnish it ourselves. Oh why can't life just be easy :o(
LittleLily Posts: 3682
Missed this yesterday. Congrats to your hubby. My cousin and her husband have just moved to Qatar and she was telling me the other day that the lifestyle is just amazing. She has 4 kids. One is 19 and lives in Dubai but she has the 17, 15 and 12 year old with them. They are attending the local international school. I'd say you'll love it when you get there just all the organisation involved is so hard to see past.
[quote="LittleLily":3ceaqyv0] I'd say you'll love it when you get there just all the organisation involved is so hard to see past.[/quote:3ceaqyv0] I think that's the thing throwing me at the moment. We asked the company what they'll take care of, so maybe that'll help.