Mullingar Hospital - Help needed

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MarchMummy2010 Posts: 2
Hi Girls just wondering if you can help me out, I am now 8 weeks pregnant and when I went to my doctor he said I was to ring Mullingar antenatal and book an appointment. Now I have rang the hospital and I have been told that they not take bookings over the phone and I need to send my referrel letter off to whatever consultant I wish to see and to indicate if I am going private or public. Is this the normal procedure? The only reason I know the consultants names are because of all the posts of WOL i have read and I dont even really know the difference between private and public although from what I have read again on WOL i am swaying more towards public as there appears to be very little difference. Should I just address my letter to whatever consultant I pick and see what happens from there? thanks for your help.
red_rubies Posts: 2424
Heya! I'm attending Mullingar hospital as a public patient. I would have liked to go semi-private but they don't do that there. I weighed up the options & for me, public seemed liked the best option. A friend of mine had her baby there last Nov as a public patient & she couldn't speak highly enough of the care she received. Anyway, I just sent my referral letter for the attention of Dr. Sam Thomas, antenatal clinic. I haven't met him yet & I'm 4 days off my due date! The midwives are lovely & sure you only see the consultant for 5 minutes or so. I've found any consultant I've met lovely so far. I'm usually waiting an hr & a half on my visits & the longest was 2 hours, so not bad. I'm doing combined care which I find brilliant! HTH! :wv
Forgot to say - after you send in your referral letter, they will post a letter to you with your first appointment date.
kittenheels Posts: 59
Hi MarchMummy2010 I went to my GP (a new one) at 8 weeks. She told me I have to wait 2 weeks for my blood tests to be taken (only available appointment) and only after the results come back will she send a letter to Mullingar for me. She says that Mullingar prefer the GPs to do the bloods and that referral letters aren't sent until bloods come back. I'm hoping to god bloods are back quickly enough or Mullingar mightn't recieve a referral letter until I'm well into my second trimester! Why is it that all GPs do things so differently? There doesn't seem to be much consitency. Did your GP mention getting bloods done first?
MarchMummy2010 Posts: 2
thanks for all the info, no my doctor didnt mention a thing about bloods, in fact he didnt really tell me anything just asked if I had any questions and that was that. Thanks again.
My GP didn't do bloods first, I got mine done in Mullingar hospital.
hipbaby Posts: 4530
Very strange the difference. i am attending dr gannon and he wouldnt see me without gp referral which was sent in and then i got an appointment to come in, get my bloods done and meet with him. I attended him on my other 2 pregnancies so i know what to expect but it really galls me the way gp's and hospitals are so blase about the procedure for first time Mams...
SGirl Posts: 2542
I dont understand why it is considered acceptable to wait an hour and a half to two hours for a medical appointment :eek , i consider this to be so rude and i would urge everyone to [b:3bv5tez2]post a complaint on the HSE website [/b:3bv5tez2](and also compliments to the midwifes who clearly are doing all the work!). I think it is soooo disrespectful that a Dr thinks so little of us that they have no shame in letting us wait for hours.... we pay their wages... lets NOT forget this.... why should we have to sit around waiting for them..... oooooh better stop ranting now or i will go on forever....
hipbaby Posts: 4530
I know what you are saying Sparly but usually if a doctor is delayed its for a very good reason I know when i had dd1 it was on my Dr's appointements day and he had to keep coming up to me every hour as i had a few complications and in the end he had to do an emergency section but I remember him stepping out of the labour room and asking one of the nurses to ring his sec and tell his waiting patients to go have a coffee as he would be at least another hour...and I remember waiting for him for hours and when he did eventually come he was in his scrubs...he apologised for the delay but really there was nothing he could do.
SGirl Posts: 2542
Yeah Hip baby you are right, but your dr had courtesy, whereas the rest of em dont seem to. Also i am a bit negatively biased as i work with a dr who systematically makes people wait hours and always has to be phoned to fulfill his commitment, and unfortunatley he is not completing any type of medical work he is just taking the mick- I kid you not! People never complain because he is a dr.