Multi Vitamin Without Iron??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

marriedLife Posts: 1881
Hi All, I am coming up to the 12 week mark so I am going to stop taking folic acid then. I want to start a multi vitamin then. When we where TTC I starting taking Pregnacare TTC vitamins but I suffer with IBS and they mad me really really constipated - so I am looking for a multi vitamin that doesn't have iron in it - does anyone know of one? I asked the girl in Boots and she looked at me like I had two heads and said she didn't know :-8
Painter2 Posts: 218
Hi MarriedLife, I have been given that look in chemists too!!! I tried to find Sanatagen as Pregnacare made me feel so ill and the girl looked at me like I was crazy and said they dont make it anymore! But I know other wollies are using it?! O:| Re the folic acid, now, I could be VERY wrong, but my consultant told me that I was to take folic acid for the entire pregnancy (I told him I was stopping at 12wks). He said absolutely no way. So, dont know if it was just his personal opinion but just thought I'd mention it. I couldnt find a supplement that was good but didnt have any iron. So I am taking the Spatone water iron (really easy on tummy) and the folic acid still. Id be interested to know of one without iron myself! Sorry, not much help :wv
wifin Posts: 4761
I have wondered this too Married Life as I am suffering something shocking with the pregnancy constipation....had a sluggish digestion pre-pregnancy anyway like you. Painter, the sanatogen one is definitely on sale in Boots in Liffey Valley if that helps?
tipperarygal Posts: 482
I'd say your best bet is to go to a natural health shop and talk to them. You can't take an ordinary multivitamin as they often have too much of certain vitamins for pregnancy like Vit A. I was also told to take folic acid throughout my pregnancy by my Doctor. I take pregnacare and a seperate iron supplement as I was anaemic from the start but eat atleast 3 kiwis and 2 large oranges a day with it as well as bran flakes and brown bread which seems to ward off constipation. Marriedlife, I would also check with your Doctor about your iron levels before coming off the iron, although I don't envy you with your IBS. It must be excruciating already. I remember thinking at around 12 weeks that my body is no longer my own and that I am only there to facilitate the growth of the baby as it takes over completely. Best of luck :wv
marriedLife Posts: 1881
Ah thanks for the tips girls yes I think I will go to a health food shop - I have my first appointment with the mid wife in a few weeks so I might even hold off until then and wait and speak to her about it and in the mean time I will keep taking the folic acid. I have a really healthy diet fiber and iron wise so I would say I get enough iron and the extra stuff in the vitamin just is too much for me. Yeah I think I'll just wait until I speak to the midwife.
Painter2 Posts: 218
Thanks Wifin, I knew they were still for sale!!! Cheers